Tintin Forums

Tintinologist.org Forums / Official Tintin books /

Black Island: A mysterious edition?

Page  Page 3 of 3:  « Previous  1  2  3 

Pharaoh
#21 · Posted: 27 Jun 2008 10:06
SmartTintin:
Well, it's good to know that you were joking

No worries, I'm sure Balthazar (the rumour spreader) will get it in the spirit I meant it in. ;-)

SmartTintin:
Hey, that's true, but I did not mean that juniors should be treated badly

That's good, because in that case you'd have to pay me a tribute or something, being 1 month your senior. :)
SmartTintin
#22 · Posted: 27 Jun 2008 10:21
Pharaoh:
That's good, because in that case you'd have to pay me a tribute or something, being 1 month your senior

Haha! LOL! :)
Balthazar
#23 · Posted: 27 Jun 2008 10:24
Pharaoh, I certainly took your use of the word lying entirely in the wry spirit you intended it, even before all these subsequent clarifications.

I suppose you could have followed it with two exclamation marks and a smiley face to emphasise you were using the word jokingly, but this would have somewhat wrecked the dry ironic tone of the converstaion.

So absolutely no offence was taken on my part; I knew what you meant.

That said, Jock's moderating intervention to prevent a word like lying being used at all on the forum seems sensible. As you can see, on a forum where no-one can hear the spoken tone of written words, terms like lying are likely to be interpreted - or misinterpreted - as offensive. (And the word has been used purely for flippant offense here before.)

Regarding Smart Tintin's comment, obviously we all agree that senior and junior members deserve equal respect, and I'd assumed that Smart Tintin was using the term "senior member" in a slightly ironic tone, as if we were in a gentleman's club or something, to add a bit of humour when ticking you off for a breach of ettiquette.

(I'm not a very senior member anyway, incidentally.)

Anyway, let's all just agree that I was joking and you were joking, but that everyone else was justified in slightly querying your choice of words. We don't want this to escalate, or someone will use the word goat and end up on the wrong end of a savate outburst.

And when you've got all three authentic facsimiles and the grid co-ordinates, don't forget to use the old Paris meridian.
Pharaoh
#24 · Posted: 27 Jun 2008 11:26
Balthazar:
And when you've got all three authentic facsimiles and the grid co-ordinates, don't forget to use the old Paris meridian.

Hmmm... this time I have a feeling you actually want me to believe and go get myself shot by monkeys...

Jokes aside, I just found two more differences between the first three editions involving changed road signs and coloring of Tintin's footwear. I've asked someone to send me scans of his to make sure and post them. It is purely amazing that everyone knows about stuff as small as a missing Snowy from the Cigars, but no one noticed that Black Island was changed between 43 and 60, and that there are three wrong facsimiles. I'll try to compile all the above, with the new findings once I get hold of them so that I can post illustrations.

Wonder if those facsimiles could one day be of any value.

Page  Page 3 of 3:  « Previous  1  2  3 

Please be sure to familiarize yourself with the Forum Posting Guidelines.

Disclaimer: Tintinologist.org assumes no responsibility for any content you post to the forums/web site. Staff reserve the right to remove any submitted content which they deem in breach of Tintinologist.org's Terms of Use. If you spot anything on Tintinologist.org that you think is inappropriate, please alert the moderation team. Sometimes things slip through, but we will always act swiftly to remove unauthorised material.

Forgot password
Please log in to post. No account? Create one!