Tintin Forums

Tintinologist.org Forums / Official Tintin books /

The Land Black Gold: Tintin's double?

laloga
#1 · Posted: 16 Jan 2010 20:50
While browsing Wikipedia today, I noticed an entry for a character called Tintin's double

I have never heard of this character, or story, so I think that it may be a hoax, but just in case… Anyone know about this?
Mikael Uhlin
#2 · Posted: 16 Jan 2010 22:18
It's no hoax and Wikipedia has gathered all the relevant information on this character.
laloga
#3 · Posted: 17 Jan 2010 12:50
Really? It just sounds like a hoax! Weird.....
Mikael Uhlin
#4 · Posted: 17 Jan 2010 14:58
Laloga, send me an email (u-line at telia.com) and I'll tell you more.
mct16
#5 · Posted: 17 Jan 2010 15:54
I can't blame you if you do not trust the Wikipedia account of Tintin's double, but I can assure you that it is genuine. This story is confirmed by Tintinologists, including Michael Farr of "Tintin the Complete Companion".

This character appears in the original version of "Land of Black Gold" which had a complex publishing history. When Herge first started the story just before World War Two, it was set in the British Mandate of Palestine and included the conflict between the Arabs, the Jews (or rather Zionists extremists) and the British. In this version Tintin was mistaken for a Jewish activist and sprung from the British by Zionist terrorists before being seized by the Arabs and taken to Sheikh Bab El Ehr. Meanwhile a man who looked just like him turned up at the Zionist HQ.

When Belgium was invaded by the Germans, Herge stopped work on this adventure, fearing that the Nazi censors would not appreciate a story involving such political undertones and it was suspended in mid-story.

"Land of Black Gold" was redrawn, colourised, completed and published in "Tintin magazine" in 1948 and later published in book form. Again it was set in Palestine and involved a Tintin double.

When it was due to be published in English in 1972, the state of Israel had long been up and running and the British publishers felt that this made it dated. They insisted that this part of the story be redone and set in a fictional country. Thus the Jews and Tintin's double were removed and were replaced by a more straightforward storyline in which the Arabs themselves spring Tintin from the authorities.

Click on link removed. It includes the front page of a post-war French newspaper (which I obtained from ebay) and a scan from the facsimile edition of "Land of Black Gold" as it was published in 1948. In both cases the double can be seen about to shake hands with the Rabbi, the Zionist leader, just as his men realise that Tintin is not their associate.

Note to moderators: I'll remove these images some time tomorrow. I just want to give the questioner and others the opportunity to see that this is no hoax.

Moderator Note: It is understood that you did this with the best of intentions, but the link is still questionable. In future if you do wish to post a link to something, and you are uncertain of the status of the material, please send a query to Admin/ Irene before you post a link, so that she can clear it. The link has been removed for the moment, until she can take a decision on the matter. Thank you for your patience in this matter.
This really is an important point to make: Tintinologist.org has been shut down before, and could be again, and unfortunately that could include financial penalties which would be directed at Irene, not at the members. Help us to help her, and please abide by the posting guidelines.
mct16
#6 · Posted: 18 Jan 2010 13:06
Note to Moderators: Irene can now rest easy. The images on the webpage have now been removed - like I said they would be.

Moderator Note: It was not doubted that you would do as you said, but the problem still remained: we cannot have links to copyright material and ensure the continued existence of the site.
The response from Irene when the matter was referred to her was as follows:

I support the removal of the link for the following reasons:
1) appropriate citations and attributions to the source missing;
2) plus I feel the displayed images exceed the minimum size necessary to satisfy their informational purpose.

If you have an issue with the decision, please feel free to take it up directly with Admin by mail.

The Tintinologist Team

Please be sure to familiarize yourself with the Forum Posting Guidelines.

Disclaimer: Tintinologist.org assumes no responsibility for any content you post to the forums/web site. Staff reserve the right to remove any submitted content which they deem in breach of Tintinologist.org's Terms of Use. If you spot anything on Tintinologist.org that you think is inappropriate, please alert the moderation team. Sometimes things slip through, but we will always act swiftly to remove unauthorised material.

Forgot password
Please log in to post. No account? Create one!