Tintin Forums

Tintinologist.org Forums / Official Tintin books /

Land of Black Gold: The 1939-1940 publication

Page  Page 2 of 2:  « Previous  1  2 

Colonel Jorgen
#11 · Posted: 25 May 2012 11:59
Interesting and thanks for sharing mct16. Which version do you think is the best or had the most potential? Oh, how I wish Egmont published all the various versions together under one cover!
mct16
#12 · Posted: 26 May 2012 17:52
I think I'll plump for the first book edition of 1950. First of all because it includes a scene with Haddock at the beginning, thus his appearance at the end of the story is not just as out-of-the-blue as in the magazine version.

The sub-plot with the impending war also gives a little extra tension to the story. That aspect has always intrigued me: after all the central plot is about Tintin investigating exploding cars, not actually trying to prevent a war and the fact that he does not take an active role in preventing it (as he did in Broken Ear or King Ottokar) seemed a bit odd. It also gives more credibility to Müller's sabotage.

Also, having a passion for history, I've always enjoyed the scenes in what was then the British Mandate of Palestine and the conflict between the various elements (British, Jews and Arabs), not to mention the humorous confusion over Tintin's double.

Colonel Jorgen:
how I wish Egmont published all the various versions together under one cover!

Has anyone considered starting an online petition or something in order to encourage the publishers to translate the earlier versions of Tintin's adventures?
luinivierge2010
#13 · Posted: 27 May 2012 13:42
Balthazar:
it's shame there doesn't seem to be an authorised or published edition of this 1939-40 version easily available

It turns out that a reprint of the first version of the story is in fact available.
One should consult the seventh volume (containing three Tintin stories, including Black Gold) from the complete works of Hergé set published by Rombaldi Editeur in the mid-1980s. Although not "easily available" (strictly speaking!), copies can be picked up for around 20 to 25 Euros on eBay.fr - however, it should be noted that the pages, slightly grubby, are only reproduced in small format.
Colonel Jorgen
#14 · Posted: 28 May 2012 12:42
luinivierge2010:
the complete works of Hergé set published by Rombaldi Editeur in the mid-1980s

That is a beautiful set: it looks like the complete collection of some great French novelist like Balzac or Flaubert rather than a comic collection! In fact, the only thing I dislike about it is the price tag...
mct16
#15 · Posted: 29 May 2012 12:49
Here's a suggestion. You might get lucky if you go on ebay and make a worldwide search for:

tintin au pays de l'or noir petit vingtième

which is basically searching for Tintin in the land of black gold by the "Petit Vingtème".

I recall someone once offering to sell pages of the story cut out from the various editions, but it was in the closing minutes of the sale so there was not time to post a link here.

Of course, the seller may be offering either original pages from the newspapers or print-outs based on scans, so it would be best to communicate with them first and ask if they can send you an image of a page in order to check for quality and authenticity. You should be able to send them a message in English - many on the continent now speak or at least understand basic English.
superjm9
#16 · Posted: 4 Dec 2020 12:33
Sorry to dig up this old thread, but if anyone is looking for the original 1939-40 version of Land of Black Gold, in addition to the small-format version published in Hergé: Œuvre Intègral, Tome 7, it has been published (in full-page format) in Hergé: Le Feuilleton Intègral, Tome 8.

However, the best place by far to read it is in Les Archives Tintin, Tome 44: Tintin au Pays de l'or Noir, published in 2014.
This not only includes the pages published in Le Petit Vingtième, but also the un-published un-resolved two-page cliff-hanger from the end of the original incomplete version of the story.

Unfortunately it is hard to find and can be quite expensive when it is for sale!

The 1948-50 serialisation has never be republished. We can only hope that Hergé: Le Feuilleton Intègral, Tome 10 will come out, which will feature this version.
Until then, the only legal way to read it is to buy old copies of the Tintin magazine.

One final note: all of these versions, in addition to the facsimile of the 1950 album, are not available in English. The only version available in English is the final version, first published in 1971 and in English in 1972, which removes the Jews and the British from the story, and resets it in Khemed.

Page  Page 2 of 2:  « Previous  1  2 

Please be sure to familiarize yourself with the Forum Posting Guidelines.

Disclaimer: Tintinologist.org assumes no responsibility for any content you post to the forums/web site. Staff reserve the right to remove any submitted content which they deem in breach of Tintinologist.org's Terms of Use. If you spot anything on Tintinologist.org that you think is inappropriate, please alert the moderation team. Sometimes things slip through, but we will always act swiftly to remove unauthorised material.

Forgot password
Please log in to post. No account? Create one!