Tintin Forums

Tintinologist.org Forums / Official Tintin books /

King Ottokar's Sceptre: Did I find the inspiration for Ottokar's seal?

RicardoOlcese
#1 · Posted: 18 Feb 2019 22:32
This is the seal of John Hunyadi, Hungarian military and political figure from the 15th century.

https://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/2/22/Hunyadi_janos_pecs etje_es_cimere.gif

Commpare with the one of p. 2 of the book. And it's even more similar to the one depicted in the Nelvana show. Notice also the bird in the center. It's not an eagle, but an unusual bird (just like Ottokar's).
jock123
#2 · Posted: 18 Feb 2019 23:13
To be honest, I don't really see much likeness, and there would have to be some overwhelming other reason why this and not any other mediaeval seal was the source.
The Tintin Young Readers edition (which was produced by Stuart Tett with access to Hergé's archives) shows several examples of period seals, earlier than the one you linked to, including one with a bird with spread wings, and doesn't actually claim that any of these is the original source.
But great to see that sigillography is still continuing long after the events of the book!
RicardoOlcese
#3 · Posted: 19 Feb 2019 01:38
jock123
Thanks fot the info! Yes, I am a great fan of sphragistics.

Please be sure to familiarize yourself with the Forum Posting Guidelines.

Disclaimer: Tintinologist.org assumes no responsibility for any content you post to the forums/web site. Staff reserve the right to remove any submitted content which they deem in breach of Tintinologist.org's Terms of Use. If you spot anything on Tintinologist.org that you think is inappropriate, please alert the moderation team. Sometimes things slip through, but we will always act swiftly to remove unauthorised material.

Forgot password
Please log in to post. No account? Create one!