Tintin Forums

Tintinologist.org Forums / Official Tintin books /

The Blue Lotus: Reality of Japanese invasion?

accordselux
#1 · Posted: 19 Feb 2005 01:02
Sorry for the cross post but I am very interested in obtaining more information on this topic!

I am in a class titled "War Crimes and Memory in East Asia" and being a Tintin fan, I asked my professor if I could write my paper concerning the events of the 'Chinese attack' on the railways and the subsequent invasion of China by Japan, and their leaving of the League of Nations, events that happened both in the comic and in real life. He heartily agreed and was amused by the facts shown in Hergé's work. These facts were so true to life that the Japanese consulate in Brussels protested. Does anyone have any extra info on this, perhaps who I could contact to get any info concerning communication between the consulate and Hergé or the Belgian govt?

Thank you so much!

Ben

[Message from Moderator (tintinuk) : Hi ! Welcome to the forum ! In future, don't make two threads for the same message. :) ]
snafu
#2 · Posted: 28 Feb 2005 05:22
That's an interesting alternate view on the history of "The Blue Lotus"! Most of us focus on Herge's Chinese friend. Good luck on your work!

I'm sorry I couldn't give you any info but I hope the motivation helps :)
accordselux
#3 · Posted: 26 Apr 2005 03:36
Hi everyone,

I finally finished my paper comparing "The Blue Lotus" to the events that really occurred in China from 1931-1934. This paper was my final for History 294 "War Crimes and Memory in East Asia" at Macalester College in St. Paul, MN.

It's a lengthy read, but for anyone interested in the history behind Herge's comic, this is a very good source of information!

Thanks!
Ben

http://www.myfilehut.com/userfiles/accordselux/Mukden.doc

Please open this link to download complete text, sorry for the confusion, and I hope you enjoy it!
snafu
#4 · Posted: 26 Apr 2005 23:20
Interesting, because I didn't know that there was a complex series of incidents between the warlords, China, and Japan. I used to go to a school that has been affiliated with the Taiwanese government, and that event only got scant discussion as we studied WWII (the part after the main bomb attack, the one covered in the story, and the subsequent events were all covered in one day)...

I recommend this for all Tintinologists!
accordselux
#5 · Posted: 27 Apr 2005 16:21
Thanks for reading the paper, I'm glad you enjoyed it. I put it up because you showed interest in my other thread, which helped me persist in finishing the paper. I hope other Tintinologists read it and learn something new!
Richard
UK Correspondent
#6 · Posted: 27 Apr 2005 18:54
That really was fascinating, thank you for sharing it with us all ! The different interpretations were interesting to read, especially as I had never learnt anything apart from the pro-China view of the events. Thank you for posting it again !
yamilah
#7 · Posted: 9 May 2005 18:49
accordselux
I'm afraid the link to your paper

http://www.myfilehut.com/userfiles/accordselux/Mukden.doc

doesn't work any more. Could you please help?
admin
Administrator
#8 · Posted: 10 May 2005 00:29
Perhaps accordselux would permit us to publish his paper on Tintinologist.org? I think it would make a nice addition to our collection of Tintin related articles. So, accordselux, do drop me a line if you would like to submit your paper for publication on this site.

Please be sure to familiarize yourself with the Forum Posting Guidelines.

Disclaimer: Tintinologist.org assumes no responsibility for any content you post to the forums/web site. Staff reserve the right to remove any submitted content which they deem in breach of Tintinologist.org's Terms of Use. If you spot anything on Tintinologist.org that you think is inappropriate, please alert the moderation team. Sometimes things slip through, but we will always act swiftly to remove unauthorised material.

Forgot password
Please log in to post. No account? Create one!