Tintin Forums

Tintinologist.org Forums / Official Tintin books /

King Ottokar's Sceptre: How to say "Klow"...

jock123
#1 · Posted: 23 Apr 2023 01:28
I don't know when I first read King Ottokar's Sceptre, but it has to be around fifty years ago.

Yet it was only just now I noticed a mention in the most excellent book Tintin, Ketje de Bruxelles, by Daniel Justens and Alain Préaux, which makes me realize that I've been mispronouncing the name of Klow, the Syldavian capital city.

In my mind, "Klow" rhymes with "cow". However, the Justens & Préaux text - which looks at the influence of the Brussels dialects and patois on Hergé and the books - observes that the name is in fact derived from the word "klœf", pronounced "klouf", meaning cracked or mad.

So the "w" is sounded, at least in the original - and perhaps (if I remember) I will do it too...!

Please be sure to familiarize yourself with the Forum Posting Guidelines.

Disclaimer: Tintinologist.org assumes no responsibility for any content you post to the forums/web site. Staff reserve the right to remove any submitted content which they deem in breach of Tintinologist.org's Terms of Use. If you spot anything on Tintinologist.org that you think is inappropriate, please alert the moderation team. Sometimes things slip through, but we will always act swiftly to remove unauthorised material.

Forgot password
Please log in to post. No account? Create one!