Tintin Forums

Tintinologist.org Forums / Official Tintin books /

The Blue Lotus: Japanese and Chinese text

Page  Page 2 of 4:  « Previous  1  2  3  4  Next » 

marsbar
#11 · Posted: 17 Jul 2005 00:25
igagli wrote: I only recoginize what Kanji are.
page 10, frame 12 義秦祥 (RtoL)
page 11, frame 12 義秦祥 (Black on Red, LtoR, Black on Yellow TtoB); ?小酌(Orange on Black TtoB); 義秦祥 seem name of shop or name of owner.

義泰祥 (not 義秦祥 /yi qin xiang**) = yi tai xiang / i tai hsiang - shop name

隨意小酌 = sui yi xiao zhuo / sui i hsiao chuo = (food/drinks at your pleasure) = eatery, restaurant

yamilah wrote: Marsbar, could you tell us if the two characters shown on the banner with the bats (Blue Lotus p.12, C3) have some meaning? Are they Chinese?

Yes, those are Chinese characters on the banner [p12, frame 12].

華 hua/hua = flowers, flowery, variegated, glory, splendor, China, Chinese... etc.

大 da/ta = great, big, large, tall, extensive, noble, high in rank, very much, full-grown, to make great... etc.

The characters have two possible meanings, depending on the purpose of the banner:

1/ commercial (more likely): brand name
2/ political: great China

--
** thanks to Nautilus for spotting the typo.
yamilah
#12 · Posted: 17 Jul 2005 01:48
marsbar
hua/hua = flowers, flowery, variegated, glory, splendor, China, Chinese... etc.

da/ta = great, big, large, tall, extensive, noble, high in rank, very much, full-grown, to make great... etc.

Thanks a lot Irene for your response, which matches with the unseen data transmitted by the 'Indian bats'...

How strange to see Bianca Castafiore precisely carries a very big flower in the Egyptian fresco by Herge...
igagli
#13 · Posted: 17 Jul 2005 15:04
Page9 Frame3
貨日制抵 (RtoL) Boycott Japanese products

This slogan reused at 2005 April Anti-Japan Protests
http://gallery.muzi.com/pfg/english/1006389.shtml?pfm=10072939

page 8 frame 13
三民主義 是 (LtoR)

It might be 宣傳三民主義
http://www.boxun.com/hero/xsj6/18_1.shtml

Moderator Note: Combined 2 consecutive posts.
snafu
#14 · Posted: 18 Jul 2005 20:48
I think that "三民主義" refers to the "Three Principles of the People [namely: Nationalism, Democracy, and Welfare of the People", the ideology of Nationalist China at that time (now they rule Taiwan, which I last visited in 1993). It is also the opening four words to the Nationalist Chinese/Taiwanese anthem at that time (seen the words to it way too many times...somewhat familiar with them...). The government still had trouble asserting its authority, first against the warlords up to around the 1920s, and then against the Communists from the 1930s to 1949, when the Nationalists were expelled to Taiwan. I don't remember seeing these words in Tintin, but if they were in Shanghai, I'm not sure it got there (under International Control), but if it was in Hukow, I wouldn't be surprised to find it there...
marsbar
#15 · Posted: 19 Jul 2005 00:57
snafu wrote: I think that "三民主義" refers to the "Three Principles of the People"

Yes, that is correct.

For more translations of Chinese text - please refer to the trivia section of our guide on The Blue Lotus.

snafu wrote: I don't remember seeing these words in Tintin, but if they were in Shanghai, I'm not sure it got there (under International Control), but if it was in Hukow, I wouldn't be surprised to find it there...

In those days, Shanghai was not entirely controlled by foreigners.

--
Off topic-ish:
snafu wrote: ... the ideology of Nationalist China at that time (now they rule Taiwan...

Not any more: at present the Democratic Progressive Party (DPP) is in power, and the Nationalist Kuomingtang (KMT) is in opposition.
yamilah
#16 · Posted: 6 Mar 2006 22:28
Would someone be so kind to tell us the meaning of the ideogram seen in all Blue Lotus' number plates, such as Mitsuhirato's car (p.9 +20), the ambulance's (p.11) and Gibbons' (p.27)?

Thanks in advance.
igagli
#17 · Posted: 7 Mar 2006 10:46
Yamilah

市1338 (p9), 市33431 (p11), ...

They seems one same Kanji and 4 or 5 digit.
市 means City. Shanghai is very big City.
yamilah
#18 · Posted: 7 Mar 2006 11:48
igagli
市 means City. Shanghai is very big City.

How is 市 pronounced?

How do you write Shanghai in Kanji ideograms?

What does Shanghai mean in Chinese and Japanese?

Thanks in advance!
marsbar
#19 · Posted: 7 Mar 2006 13:06
市 is pronounced 'shi' (fourth tone) in Mandarin.

上海 is Shanghai in Chinese and in Japanese. Literally, 上 shang means on/above/to, and 海 hai means sea. I have seen the name translated as: "upriver to the sea", "on the sea", "to the sea" and "the upper reaches of the sea".
igagli
#20 · Posted: 7 Mar 2006 13:19
Yamilah
How is 市 pronounced?
In this case, 市(city) is pronounced 'shi' in Japanese.
市 also means Market, it is pronounced 'i-chi'.

How do you write Shanghai in Kanji ideograms?
上海

Page  Page 2 of 4:  « Previous  1  2  3  4  Next » 

Please be sure to familiarize yourself with the Forum Posting Guidelines.

Disclaimer: Tintinologist.org assumes no responsibility for any content you post to the forums/web site. Staff reserve the right to remove any submitted content which they deem in breach of Tintinologist.org's Terms of Use. If you spot anything on Tintinologist.org that you think is inappropriate, please alert the moderation team. Sometimes things slip through, but we will always act swiftly to remove unauthorised material.

Forgot password
Please log in to post. No account? Create one!