Tintin Forums

Tintinologist.org Forums / Official Tintin books /

Seven Crystal Balls: Bruno the Magician

yamilah
#1 · Posted: 22 Jul 2005 22:48
According to the list of characters on this site, it seems the magician who can change water into wine (p.16) isn't named in the English version, whereas he is 'Bruno' in the original one...

Can someone confirm this?

About that man, does the words 'magic' or 'magician' appear in the translation, as it does in French?
By the end of the book, is the spell by the Inca referred to as black 'magic'?

Thanks for your responses!
edcharlesadams
Trivia Challenge Score Keeper
#2 · Posted: 22 Jul 2005 23:02
No, he's named as Bruno in the English version too, on page 7 of The Seven Crystal Balls. He's described as "Bruno, the master magician".

As for your second point about black 'magic', do you have a page reference for it?

Ed
Richard
UK Correspondent
#3 · Posted: 23 Jul 2005 14:46
yamilah :
By the end of the book, is the spell by the Inca referred to as black 'magic'?

I've looked through the French editions of both Crystal Balls and Prisoners, and the only reference I can find to magic at the end of either book is in Prisoners - on page 60, B3, the prince says «C'est d'ici, de ce sanctuaire, que, par magie, nous les faisons souffrir.» Tintin responds by saying it's «De l'envoûtement!...»

In the English edition, the prince says "Here in this chamber, by our hidden powers, we have tortured them." Tintin refers to it as "Witchcraft!...". Is this the moment you mean ?

Edit : In the English edition of Prisoners, Haddock refers to Tintin commanding the sun by saying "... It's magic!" (page 58, C4). In French Haddock says «C'est de la sorcellerie!...».
yamilah
#4 · Posted: 25 Jul 2005 12:23
edcharlesadams
about black 'magic', do you have a page reference for it?

Richard
the only reference I can find to magic at the end of either book is in Prisoners - on page 60, B3

Oops, I meant the end of Prisoners (p.60), of course...

Thanks to both of you for your searches & answers!

Please be sure to familiarize yourself with the Forum Posting Guidelines.

Disclaimer: Tintinologist.org assumes no responsibility for any content you post to the forums/web site. Staff reserve the right to remove any submitted content which they deem in breach of Tintinologist.org's Terms of Use. If you spot anything on Tintinologist.org that you think is inappropriate, please alert the moderation team. Sometimes things slip through, but we will always act swiftly to remove unauthorised material.

Forgot password
Please log in to post. No account? Create one!