Tintin Forums

Tintinologist.org Forums / Works influenced/inspired by Hergé /

Tintin and Alph-art: attempts to finish the story (not by Rodier)

Page  Page 2 of 2:  « Previous  1  2 

bshore12
#11 · Posted: 22 Feb 2012 17:51
I understand the point about following Herge's wishes. However, it's been 30 years now, and with the success of the Spielberg film, as well as the following Tintin has, I cannot believe that Moulinsart (or the Herge Foundation) isn't at least contemplating a new adventure or two. There is a huge market for it, and many would benefit from it.
mct16
#12 · Posted: 22 Feb 2012 20:58
I believe that the copyright is valid for 70 years after the author's death, so we have at least another 40 years to wait.

Query: even if the copyright holders and Herge's estate agreed to publish new stories, could they legally get away with ignoring Herge's personal wishes or could they face prosecution?
jock123
#13 · Posted: 22 Feb 2012 21:26
bshore12:
I cannot believe that Moulinsart (or the Herge Foundation) isn't at least contemplating a new adventure or two.

For reasons pointed out before, Moulinsart doesn’t own the rights to Tintin; they exist to exploit rights which have be granted to them by Mme. Rodwell, covering the existing art and stories. A fine distinction, given that she also owns Moulinsart, but an important one.

It is Mme. Rodwell who has the final say, and she has shown no indication of doing anything other than honouring what she sees as Hergé’s wish that the series die with him; it’s not to say that she couldn’t or wouldn’t, but I doubt that something like the movie is likely to change her mind.

mct16:
even if the copyright holders and Herge's estate agreed to publish new stories, could they legally get away with ignoring Herge's personal wishes or could they face prosecution?

Of course they could - who would prosecute them? The legal rights lie with Mme. Rodwell, and the buck therefore stops at her; it may be that the charitable foundation she has set up might have some influence on what can or can’t be done (e.g., she might have signed some rights over to that to protect them in some way), but other than that, she can do what she wants.
Linda UK
#14 · Posted: 4 Jun 2012 00:27
I have only seen the French and English editions of Yves Rodier in B&W (Eng) and both B&W and colour in French, although i understand there is now also a colour English version around.

How and who produces and distributes these unofficial pirates i have no idea, especially as most were in circulation way before the internet was around or common place.

I myself have an older French B&W Rodier version that was given to me about 12 years ago, but i don't know how people generally or used to obtain these pre-internet and ebay etc?

I know of the "Ramo Nash" version, first around from 1987 (pre-Rodier version) i believe.

Another third author/artist pirate version i have heard and read about (but never seen or confirmed) is a "Regric" edition/version, also from the 1990's i believe.

Could this also be the same third version that Jock-123 refers to in this thread as having only been available on CD-Rom?

However i vaguely remember reading something on a French website few years ago that the "Regric" version was in print at sometime, but unfinished like Herge's original, so maybe just the art and drawings on known pages were done.

On the same French website i think it mentioned another French version by someone else that was the CD-Rom version.
Can anyone confirm this, or knows more about it?

Page  Page 2 of 2:  « Previous  1  2 

Please be sure to familiarize yourself with the Forum Posting Guidelines.

Disclaimer: Tintinologist.org assumes no responsibility for any content you post to the forums/web site. Staff reserve the right to remove any submitted content which they deem in breach of Tintinologist.org's Terms of Use. If you spot anything on Tintinologist.org that you think is inappropriate, please alert the moderation team. Sometimes things slip through, but we will always act swiftly to remove unauthorised material.

Forgot password
Please log in to post. No account? Create one!