Tintin Forums

Tintinologist.org Forums / Works influenced/inspired by Hergé /

Viz Comics: "Jacjac and Silvery" Tintin spoof

rastapopoulos
#1 · Posted: 31 Aug 2004 10:35
Has anyone read the Jacjac and Silvery spoof Tintin comic strip in Viz comics?
It was a one off, and a while ago, but it just popped into my head and made me chuckle to myself.
Check it out!
Tintinrulz
#2 · Posted: 31 Aug 2004 11:17
Sounds interesting! But how do we check it out? You didn't provide a link.
rastapopoulos
#3 · Posted: 31 Aug 2004 11:47
It's not on the web. You'll have to search through the magazines or the annuals to find it. Sorry!
John Sewell
#4 · Posted: 1 Nov 2004 02:11
Oh yes!
I can also remember a drawing in the regular Jack Black and his dog, Silver strip, with a caption that went something like "...and in a scene remarkably similar to the cover of The Black Island by Hergé, Jack set out..."

They're nicely observed - and rather savage spoofs - in a very British Enid Blyton / Beano & Dandy 1950s picture story vein, where all gypsies, working class people and foreigners are "evil", and usually punished by being executed by a friendly policeman!

I particularly liked the one where Jack was suspicious of a new arrival in the village, simply because he read The Guardian newspaper instead of The Daily Mail, and hounded him out as a result. Very non-PC!

Nice to know that there seems to be a Tintin fan on the Viz staff, at any rate.
rastapopoulos
#5 · Posted: 1 Nov 2004 12:44
The Jacjac strip was completely done in Hergé's style. There was also an Asterix episode, entitled Jack Blacksterix!
I can't recall the Black Island scene... sounds interesting - must rifle through my collection!
Yes it does take the mickey and is very non-pc (to underline the character's inherent racism, Jacjac hands in a report to his editor entitled "The myth of the Holocaust").
For parody strips it's nice to see a British one, and from the one of my all-time favourite comic magazines, Viz!

Please be sure to familiarize yourself with the Forum Posting Guidelines.

Disclaimer: Tintinologist.org assumes no responsibility for any content you post to the forums/web site. Staff reserve the right to remove any submitted content which they deem in breach of Tintinologist.org's Terms of Use. If you spot anything on Tintinologist.org that you think is inappropriate, please alert the moderation team. Sometimes things slip through, but we will always act swiftly to remove unauthorised material.

Forgot password
Please log in to post. No account? Create one!