Tintin Forums

Tintinologist.org Forums / Works influenced/inspired by Hergé /

Creating Tintin fan works

Page  Page 4 of 4:  « Previous  1  2  3  4 

mattnpegg
#31 · Posted: 30 Aug 2006 17:10
I think there a difference when the author is still alive and a series is still being created. Perhaps J.K. Rowling feels that fan fiction simply maintains interest in Harry Potter and is more likely to have a positive impact on her sales than a negative one.
As soon as an author is dead and you are dealing with their estate then you tend to find they are a lot more rigid and protective of the work. I don't think it's just Moulinsart.
Levent
#32 · Posted: 30 Aug 2006 18:07
I have been making Tintin related puzzles, wallpapers and e-cards and publishing them in my blog. I also sent my blog URL and some files to Moulinsart but they do not say anything.
admin
Administrator
#33 · Posted: 31 Aug 2006 01:45
Hi mattnpegg, welcome to the Tintinologist Forums.

Levent, consider yourself fortunate that you have not heard from Moulinsart (yet); but we certainly have! Silence does not necessarily mean endorsement. Our experience tells us that Moulinsart do/will act when they choose to and that they do not accept "Other people are doing it" as an excuse.
Levent
#34 · Posted: 31 Aug 2006 08:19
But I do not change Herge's drawing style nor attempt to write or to complete a new story.
jock123
#35 · Posted: 31 Aug 2006 09:27
Levent
But I do not change Herge's drawing style nor attempt to write or to complete a new story.

That isn’t the point: you are using Hergé’s work, and you are not entitled to. Look at it this way, they have to act where the copyright is infringed even with the purest of motives, because it stops those who seek to make money from pirate activities pointing to what you are doing to defend their activities.

The return we, as fans, get is that if Moulinsart makes money, the Fondation makes money and they are able to finance the protection and archiving of Hergé’s work, the building of the museum, and other projects which benefit us all. They can only do this with the income from the copyright continues to flow…

Page  Page 4 of 4:  « Previous  1  2  3  4 

Please be sure to familiarize yourself with the Forum Posting Guidelines.

Disclaimer: Tintinologist.org assumes no responsibility for any content you post to the forums/web site. Staff reserve the right to remove any submitted content which they deem in breach of Tintinologist.org's Terms of Use. If you spot anything on Tintinologist.org that you think is inappropriate, please alert the moderation team. Sometimes things slip through, but we will always act swiftly to remove unauthorised material.

Forgot password
Please log in to post. No account? Create one!