Tintin Forums

Tintinologist.org Forums / Works influenced/inspired by Hergé /

Why ban Tintin fan fiction?

Page  Page 6 of 7:  « Previous  1  2  3  4  5  6  7  Next » 

jock123
#51 · Posted: 2 Oct 2016 11:03
iluvtintin:
All the characters belong to Hergé. They will always belong to Hergé

Yes, and because they belonged to Hergé, he wanted to keep them that way. Using something that belongs to someone else is taking it away from that person.

iluvtintin:
Hergé even loved fan art

Err, no, he didn't - he was never keen on it. It's one of the reasons he was so particular that he didn't want anyone else drawing Tintin, even when he was alive.

As I have said before, he might have been flattered by the attention, but he always advised the artist that they should be doing and creating their own, new characters.
If Hergé had devoted his time to drawing fan art of the characters he liked, we wouldn't have Tintin...

iluvtintin:
He just didn't want people to keep doing Tintin after his death.

So you are advocating people doing more Tintin, but telling us that you know Hergé wouldn't want it to happen? It seems to contradict what you are saying, don't you think?
iluvtintin
#52 · Posted: 11 Apr 2017 03:52
jock123

I know this comment is old, but really? He didn't like fanart? Are you sure?
I would find that out of Hergé's character. I mean what about the kids? Are you saying he would throw away their fanart? I mean I get where you coming from, but I find it kind of rude if he never appreciated the kids or adults' fan work. I understand Tintin is his work, but really?

Your last reply I'm confuse at. Advocating what? I would love more Tintin, but that might never happen due to his wishes.
jock123
#53 · Posted: 11 Apr 2017 17:33
iluvtintin:
He didn't like fanart? Are you sure?

Yes, as far as can be told - as I said before, he was flattered, but he thought the effort would be better put into creating something new and original.

iluvtintin:
I would find that out of Hergé's character.

Why would or should it be out of character? He didn't ask for it, so his opinion was entirely his own.

iluvtintin:
Are you saying he would throw away their fanart?

You are putting words into my mouth there, which is going a bit far; I have no idea what, if anything, he did with it.

iluvtintin:
I find it kind of rude if he never appreciated the kids or adults' fan work.

Why should it be "rude"? If I sent you something you didn't want and never asked for, would it be rude of you to say you didn't want it and never asked for it? It's simply the truth.

Actually, if you've read what I wrote on the subject before, he did appreciate the effort - he would often write back and thank the sender for sending it: but usually with the advice that they did their own thing in the future.

iluvtintin:
Advocating what? I would love more Tintin

"Advocating" means speaking up in favour of something. You seem to want more Tintin to be done, and to be saying that it should be done, while still maintaining that the wishes of Hergé should be respected. To me you can't ever do both.
RicardoOlcese
#54 · Posted: 9 Jan 2019 21:18
jock123
Dear Jock123: Was Tintin really a character created by Hergé? I think there's photographic evidence, even including Tintin's original handwritting, proving irrefutably that Tintin was a real person.
snowybella
#55 · Posted: 9 Jan 2019 23:00
RicardoOlcese

I've heard that Herge organised a meeting event on a train, where an actor dressed as Tintin turned up at the train station and made his way to the Petit Vingtieme office. This incident is mentioned in detail at the beginning of Harry Thompson's excellent book (unfortunately, I've forgotten the name!).

Then, he organised a book signing event, where Herge signed "Tintin" and his wife as "Milou" on copies of Soviets.

So, the cover of that Petit Vingtieme probably is recording the event at the train station, and the person who organised making the covers got Herge to write the text.

Nice thought, though!
luca
#56 · Posted: 10 Jan 2019 11:22
RicardoOlcese:
Was Tintin really a character created by Hergé? I think there's photographic evidence, even including Tintin's original handwritting, proving irrefutably that Tintin was a real person. Check this out:

I think this was just a tribute to Tintin, look the date: 15/5/1930, Tintin's first story was released one year before.
RicardoOlcese
#57 · Posted: 10 Jan 2019 14:55
snowybella
Thanks for the info! Your answers are always so kind and informative! Amaïh for you!
As far as I can think of it, Mr jock123 is absolutely right: Hergé had both the moral and legal right to decide whatever he wanted about his personal creation, Tintin. I only think it's sad that Tintin died with Hergé in a way. And if you think about it, if Tintin died, Rastapopoulos, Müller, the Bordurians... they have finally won. And it makes me sadder.
What one can do is privately write tons of stories involving Tintin, keep them unpublished in a drawer, wait until Tintin goes in the public domain (2053?) and then try publishing the new books. I am sure Tintin will still be popular at that time in the future (if a mysterious star doesn't kill us all before that).
All that would be perfectly legal, I think. Although Hergé perhaps wouldn't be very happy about it.
jock123
#58 · Posted: 10 Jan 2019 17:23
RicardoOlcese:
I think there's photographic evidence

Hmmm... It's possible... ;-)

As snowybella says correctly, this is one of the "real life" Tintins who played the part at events, to the delight of the children of Brussels who came to see his triumphal returns from foreign climes.
You can read a bit more about them on the forums, such as here.
RicardoOlcese
#59 · Posted: 10 Jan 2019 23:32
jock123
Dear jock123: With all due respect, I disagree. If the evidence I provided wasn't enough for you, I even have a picure of Tintin together with Hergé (taken in 1941; colorized 1991).

Wait! Now seriously. I got an idea. The Nelvana Tintin show was aired in the 1990s. Hergé had already died. And they changed the stories. Not entirely, but important bits. Like... in America, the bad fellow works against Capone in the original; and for Capone in the TV programme. In Picaros, Tintin travels together with Haddock and Calculus to Tapiocapolis, when in the original book he travelled later. And so many (dozens) of changes of the kind. Wouldn't that be "creating a new story" using Tintin, and thus contradicting Hergé's will?

Moderator Note: Combined two consecutive posts; we try to avoid consecutive posting - if you need to say something else, and there hasn't been a reply to your previous posting, you can just edit it, and include any additional information.

The Tidy Tintinologist Team
Shivam302001
#60 · Posted: 11 Jan 2019 13:27
RicardoOlcese

I would not perhaps see it like that. In order to fit the standard time of the show, some important bits had to be shortened, no doubt but that's it. I think Herge's wish was for no new Tintin adventures. Modifying Tintin's adventures to fit into the silver screen and make it more attractive to the modern audience - that is not doing ill service to Herge's wish. Then what will you say about the Tintin movie where half the things did not even happen in the books?

Besides, appropriate authorities must have given permission in the first place for the changes to take place.

Page  Page 6 of 7:  « Previous  1  2  3  4  5  6  7  Next » 

Please be sure to familiarize yourself with the Forum Posting Guidelines.

Disclaimer: Tintinologist.org assumes no responsibility for any content you post to the forums/web site. Staff reserve the right to remove any submitted content which they deem in breach of Tintinologist.org's Terms of Use. If you spot anything on Tintinologist.org that you think is inappropriate, please alert the moderation team. Sometimes things slip through, but we will always act swiftly to remove unauthorised material.

Forgot password
Please log in to post. No account? Create one!