Tintin Forums

Tintinologist.org Forums / [Archive/read-only] Tintin Trivia Challenge /

Q6: Which albums contain factual characters?

mondrian
#1 · Posted: 4 May 2006 12:25
Ok, here goes:

Which Tintin album/albums contain a picture and/or a written mention of a real life person/persons?

I´m aware that this question might cause controversy, so short rules:

1. In pictures, only representations confirmed by Hergé (in interviews) apply. In other words, it´s not enough to say a character looks like Queen Elizabeth/Steven Patrick Morrissey/my aunt Clara.

2. Only "final" versions of the albums apply. That means Soviets + coloured editions of the official albums. So you don´t have to care about original b&w versions if a later coloured edition exists. Neither is -43 version of L'île Noire or Lake of Sharks needed.

3. For a correct answer, you need to list the albums which contain factual character/characters, and mention at least one such character from each album.

Hope you enjoy this, have fun!

ps. i might not be able to visit this site every day (once in three days for sure) so please be patient.
labrador road 26
#2 · Posted: 4 May 2006 15:50
Here goes.

Tintin in America - Al Capone
Cigars of the pharaoh - The captain smuggling arms based on Henri Monfried.
Blue Lotus - Chang Chong-chen (Chang Chong-Yen).
Broken ear - Basil Bazaroff based on the arms dealer Basil Zaharoff.
Red Rackham's treasure - Calculus based on Auguste Piccard.
Flight 714 - the reporter on the last page based on a real life fan (don't remember his real name unfortunately).

I have probably forgotten someones.
jock123
#3 · Posted: 5 May 2006 10:46
I know you have tried to outline the question, mondrian, but I’m still not clear what it is you want, or how you are going know that the identification was “confirmed by Hergé” - it’s a very broad topic!

Does the scope of the question include the representation of real-life character, but not as themselves - such as Basil Bazaroff/ Zaharoff (as per labrador road 26), or just the real character being identified as themself?

If it’s the former, then presumably you are counting the appearances of Hergé, Hergée, Jacobs, de Moor et al. - which are known about, but are they all documented by Hergé? For example, Bob de Moor appears in Black Island, but I’ve never seen a ciatation for it in the literature.

What about the fact that Professor Calculus was based on Professor Picard of Brussels, but wasn’t drawn as him (because he would have been too tall to fit in the frames with Tintin & Cº - does that matter?

If it’s the latter, then I think that Al Capone is the only real life person to appear in the canon.

Perhaps this is an example of a trivia test that is too broad: perhaps it might be best in future to have questions where there is an obvious and specific answer?

For example “Who was the arms dealer in Broken Ear, and which real life person was he based on?” can be answered without much debate. “Who was Basil Bazaroff based on?” is even less controversial and more direct. It could take a very long time to verify answers to questions otherwise.
yamilah
#4 · Posted: 5 May 2006 12:22
Here are -for the original versions- most of the written mentions of real life persons (homonyms included):

Soviets . . . . . Lenin, Trotzky, Staline (p.100)
Congo . . . . . .Salomon (p.27) / David + Goliath (p.59)
America . . . . Al Capone (p.1)
Cigars . . . . . .Ramses II (p.36) / Sesostris (p.37) / Napoleon (p.43)
Lotus . . . . . . .Don Quixote (p.7) / Lao Tseu (p.13)
Broken Ear . . Balthazar (p.3) / Diaz (p.22)
Black Island . .Columbus (p.60)
Sceptre . . . . . .Charlemagne + Gradenigo + Louis IX (p.2)
Crab . . . . . . . . Diogenes (p.52)
Shooting Star .Judas* (p.30)
Unicorn . . . . .Louis XIV (p.6+14)
Rackham . . . .Sacha Guitry (p.2) / St John of Patmos (p.60)
Crystal . . . . . Dunlop (p.48)
Prisoners . . . .Archimede (p.51)
Black Gold . . .Danton, Robespierre, Toutankhamon (p.13)
Destination M. [st-bernard, p12 & poubelle, p15] / Ulysses (p.50)
Explorers M. . .Hipparchus & Maurolycus (p.18) / Vercingetorix* (p.20)
. . . . . . . . . . . . Boulanger (p.48)
Affair . . . . . . .Leslie E. Simon (p.23) / Fangio (p.34)
Red Sea . . . . Moliere + Bombard (p.36) / Columbus (p.48)
Tibet . . . . . . . Mahatma Gandhi (p.7)
Emerald . . . . .Ravachol* + Gounod (p.10) / Louis XIII (p.11)
. . . . . . . . . . . . Beethoven (p.13) / Verdi + Rossini + Puccini (p.33)
. . . . . . . . . . . . Offenbach (p.39) / Democrite (p.45)
Flight 714 . . . .Braque + Renoir + Picasso + Onassis (p.8) / Ravachol (p.21)
Picaros . . . . . Mussolini* (p.8, frame 12)

* those are part of Haddock's original curses.
SingingGandalf
#5 · Posted: 5 May 2006 19:19
Unicorn . . . . .Louis XIV (p.6+14)

In the english version they change it to the British king, King Charles II, the first king after Cromwell's reign (he ruled as leader of the army and 'protector' of the country, after the civil war - which was, basically a revolution, for those of you unfamiliar to British history. In the German version it says 'sonnenkonigs', with an umlaot on the 'o'. I presume this means 'sun king' the nickname of the french Louis XIV.

Anyway, a little more on topic, I would suggest that 'Al Capone' should be the correct answer for this post.
mondrian
#6 · Posted: 5 May 2006 19:54
jock123
Does the scope of the question include the representation of real-life character, but not as themselves - such as Basil Bazaroff/ Zaharoff (as per labrador road 26), or just the real character being identified as themself?

If it’s the former, then presumably you are counting the appearances of Hergé, Hergée, Jacobs, de Moor et al. - which are known about, but are they all documented by Hergé? For example, Bob de Moor appears in Black Island, but I’ve never seen a ciatation for it in the literature.

What about the fact that Professor Calculus was based on Professor Picard of Brussels, but wasn’t drawn as him (because he would have been too tall to fit in the frames with Tintin & Cº - does that matter?

If it’s the latter, then I think that Al Capone is the only real life person to appear in the canon.

Good questions, maybe i should´ve been more precise.

As for the Bazaroff/ Zaharoff thing, no, he doesn´t appear as himself. Bazaroff is a fictitious character, although he´s based on a real-life character.

And the same applies for Calculus, who´s undoubtedly a fictitious character (but how many of the fictitious characters in books, movies, etc. are influenced by some real life character?). Besides, I´ve understood that Piccard is actually pictured in Shooting star, p. 21.

And yes, I´m counting the appearances by Hergé, de Moor, Jacobs etc. as they are well documented (yes, you are correct, not by Hergé himself in all cases but at least by his studio staff, which I count as reliable sources)

But, as the excellent answer by yamilah
shows, there are lots of real life persons to choose from, even if we count out the controversial ones.

Few footnotes in regard to her answer:

Lotus . . . . . . .Don Quixote (p.7) / Lao Tseu (p.13) To my knowledge, Don Quijote is strictly fictious, but as Laotse is deemed to be a historical character almost unanimously, this is correct.

Shooting Star .Judas* (p.30)

I understand Haddock is referring to Judas Iscariot. To be honest, I really don´t know where theologists and historians stand nowadays. Is he really a historical character or not? Anyways, I understand that it´s an unquestionable fact that Jesus was a historical character and he had some apostles, although their exact names and actions seem to be a topic for eternal (in the worldly mean of the word, no need to laugh) discussion, so I count this answer correct.

Crystal . . . . . Dunlop (p.48)
It could be argued that Tintin isn´t referring to John Dunlop as a person, but to tyres brand. Close enough, I´d say (on page 1 a man on the train is telling Tintin about Tutankhamon, which definitely closes the case concerning this album)

Destination M. [st-bernard, p12 & poubelle, p15] / Ulysses (p.50) the first two I really don´t get, could you please explain Yamilah? Also with Ulysses it´s again possible to argue that the villain isn´t referring to Ulysses as a person, but to an operation that´s named after him.

Anyways, I hope no-one needs to protest, and we can declare Yamilah the winner in this question.

And as for the trivia questions I´d rather have them complex, or at least really rare. I have no need to criticise the previous question (as I got a point!), but neither do I feel really special as I know most people in this forum could´ve answered in an instant had they been on the site at the right moment.

Of course it´s crucial that the questions can be answered without controversy, but I´d also consider the fact that most people here are rather dedicated to the cause. And for most easy questions it´s possible to find the answer in a second from the net (no I didn´t!).

Anyways, congratulations to Yamilah!
SingingGandalf
#7 · Posted: 5 May 2006 20:29
Yamilah, your turn to post a question, I take it? Remember - you have 48 hours.
yamilah
#8 · Posted: 5 May 2006 20:40
Thanks, mondrian & Singing Gandalf!
About Don Quixote, I was wrong, of course!

[Destination Moon, st-bernard, p12 & poubelle, p15] I really don't get, could you please explain Yamilah?

- 'St-Bernard' is uttered by Snowy when complaining about his extra-large space-suit.
This dog race is homonymous with a Saint's name...

see http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/St._Bernard_%28dog%29
see http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bernard_of_Clairvaux

- 'Poubelle' (dustbin) is utter by Snowy when Tintin finds in it the plans erroneously discarded by Calculus.
Paris' Prefet Poubelle is the inventor of the French dustbin...

see http://fr.wikipedia.org/wiki/Poubelle
mondrian
#9 · Posted: 6 May 2006 15:17
yamilah
- 'St-Bernard' is uttered by Snowy when complaining about his extra-large space-suit.
This dog race is homonymous with a Saint's name...
see http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/St._Bernard_%28dog%29
see http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bernard_of_Clairvaux
- 'Poubelle' (dustbin) is utter by Snowy when Tintin finds in it the plans erroneously discarded by Calculus.
Paris' Prefet Poubelle is the inventor of the French dustbin...
see http://fr.wikipedia.org/wiki/Poubelle

Thanks, this cleared it up. I was actually checking some french editions because of the trivia, but as my French is next to useless and i´ve never lived in a French-speaking country, there was no way I´d know the dustbin has been named after the inventor. Well spotted!

Oh, and some credit should also go to labrador road 26 (not a point, sorry!), that was a good effort just by memory.

This topic is closed.