Tintin Forums

Tintinologist.org Forums / [Archive/read-only] Tintin Trivia Challenge /

Q32: Which real-life city?

yamilah
#1 · Posted: 17 Aug 2006 17:34
Aside from The Calculus Affair, in which other album can we find scenes that occur in a real-life Swiss city?

Please quote album, page & city.
Ranko
#2 · Posted: 18 Aug 2006 08:29
Good question, yamilah.

No-one has attempted this yet so I'll stick my neck out and say Tintin In Tibet? For some reason the opening sequence with the Hotel Des Sommets strikes me as being Swiss?!? However I'm not sure if this is correct as I can't identify the city.

Cheers,
Ranko
yamilah
#3 · Posted: 18 Aug 2006 14:20
Ranko
Tintin In Tibet? For some reason the opening sequence with the Hotel Des Sommets strikes me as being Swiss?!?

Maybe, but Vargese is no real-life city though, neither in Switzerland, nor elsewhere in the Alps, as shown by Google.

Still guess what/who could be Vargese in Tintin's totally unique world made of Indians* & invisible stars* & military*?
answer on http://images.google.fr/images?hl=fr&q=vargese&sa=N&tab=wi

A clue to Q32: this city lies by a homonymous lake.
Ranko
#4 · Posted: 18 Aug 2006 14:54
.(I'm sorry I forgot the quote button)
Maybe, but Vargese is no real-life city though, neither in Switzerland, nor elsewhere in the Alps, as shown by Google.

Indeed yamilah. This is the exact point that made me think I was totally wrong! Fictional city.

We have an image of the 'servant Vargese' who could indeed be Nestor within the unique world?
An answer to the main question? Still no idea...

Cheers,
Ranko
Levent
#5 · Posted: 18 Aug 2006 20:53

Indeed yamilah. This is the exact point that made me think I was totally wrong! Fictional city.

Vargen word shows on envelope [Tintin In Tibet] which is a town near Kalmar, Sweden. Perhaps Herge heard it and inspired.
edcharlesadams
Trivia Challenge Score Keeper
#6 · Posted: 18 Aug 2006 21:14
There's a discussion on the location of Vargèse in this thread.

Ed
Mikael Uhlin
#7 · Posted: 18 Aug 2006 23:52
yamilah wrote: Aside from The Calculus Affair, in which other album can we find scenes that occur in a real-life Swiss city? Please quote album, page & city.

I'd say Seven Crystal Balls, page 20. Tintin phones professor Paul Cantonneau who - according to The Shooting Star - works at the University in Fribourg, Switzerland. Assuming that he's still there (which I'm not sure of) the scene showing Cantonneau on the phone takes place in Switzerland.
Mikael Uhlin
#8 · Posted: 19 Aug 2006 00:07
Now I know! The scenes from the League of Nations in Blue Lotus (pages 22 & 60) take place in Switzerland, right?
yamilah
#9 · Posted: 19 Aug 2006 09:16
Mikael Uhlin
Now I know! The scenes from the League of Nations in Blue Lotus (pages 22 & 60) take place in Switzerland, right?

And the city is Geneva, of course!
see http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/League_of_Nations
and http://www.unog.ch/virtual_tour/palais_des_nations.html

Congratulations Michael, your turn for next question within 24 hours!

This topic is closed.