Tintin Forums

Tintinologist.org Forums / [Archive/read-only] Tintin Trivia Challenge /

Q49: A perplexing riddle

Ranko
#1 · Posted: 9 Sep 2006 09:14
Which hirsute cast member struggles with a riddle posed by a former subordinate? and what is the outcome?

Book and page please.
jock123
#2 · Posted: 9 Sep 2006 22:42
Well, the answer I can think of is Captain Haddock (hirsute), while a prisoner of Allan (ex-subordinate) in Red Sea Sharks, being asked if he sleeps with his beard over or under the sheet; the result is that he has a problem sleeping, wrestles with his concience about whisky and falls out of his bunk. I can't give you the page as I don't have the book to hand, but I'm not sure that it really is necessary in this case is it?
Ranko
#3 · Posted: 9 Sep 2006 23:06
Excellent Jock! Well done. no more info needed.

Time for you to pose the next question.
jock123
#4 · Posted: 11 Sep 2006 12:14
Question posted!

I have to say that that sequence is one of my favourites in the entire canon - it blends great humour, pathos, slap-stick and the general humanity of the Captain with art and colouring which I think show Hergé and the studio at the top of their game; Red Sea Sharks is an under-appreciated book, and that bit of Haddock trying to sleep is outstanding.
Ranko
#5 · Posted: 11 Sep 2006 20:57
Agree with you, Jock.

I've said before that Haddock is by far and away my favourite character. This indeed shows him at his best(worst?) in typical "why does everything happen to me?" fashion.

I compare this to my other favourite in the canon. The pipe sequence in Destination Moon The cry of "Have you seen my pipe?" filtering through to the observatory has me in stitches.

This topic is closed.