Tintin Forums

Tintinologist.org Forums / [Archive/read-only] Tintin Trivia Challenge /

Q51: French in the books

Richard
UK Correspondent
#1 · Posted: 11 Sep 2006 18:29
In Prisoners of the Sun Tintin attempts to converse with the ceramic head in different languages, including French. Name two other occasions - people and place names excluded - where French appears in the English-language books.
yamilah
#2 · Posted: 11 Sep 2006 19:29
I suppose it must be some newspapers' titles in The Calculus Affair, such as:
- Liberation Dimanche (p.13)
- Le Petit Suisse (p.13)
- Journal de Geneve (p.42)
- L'Echo Illustre (p.42)

Is that what you meant, Richard?
Levent
#3 · Posted: 11 Sep 2006 19:47
"Le Soir" in Flight 714, last page. Two other occasions are The Calculus Affair and Flight 714 albums, I think.
Richard
UK Correspondent
#4 · Posted: 11 Sep 2006 20:24
Yamilah has one, the article on page 13 of The Calculus Affair. But the others are all names - the other example I'm thinking of is a sentence, or at least part of one.
Jolyon Wagg
#5 · Posted: 11 Sep 2006 20:55
Captain Haddock says "J'ai soif" on the way to the Atomic centre on page 5, Destination Moon
yamilah
#6 · Posted: 11 Sep 2006 21:26
Richard
Name two other occasions - people and place names excluded - where French appears in the English-language books.

the other example I'm thinking of is a sentence, or at least part of one.

Isn't then the question a bit confusing?
jock123
#7 · Posted: 11 Sep 2006 22:54
I've got three:

Calculus Affair - the hotel reception desk has a sign saying Voyages (p.19), and there is a sign for the Douane at the Szohod airport (p.46);
King Ottokar's Sceptre - the guide contains the sentence, "And turning to his astonished court he said: 'Honi soit qui mal y pense!'" (p.21)
Richard
UK Correspondent
#8 · Posted: 11 Sep 2006 23:44
yamilah
Isn't then the question a bit confusing?

Well, I could have said "people, place names, signs, single words, newspaper names excluded" but then I sound a little persnickety.

The answer I was thinking of was in Land of Black Gold on page 42, when Tintin retunes the wireless and hears part of a French news report. Trivia: the French edition features a snippet of an English report.

So, scoring ...
• Yamilah gets a point for the newspaper article
• Jolyon Wagg gets a point for Haddock's "J'ai soif"
• An honourable mention goes to Jock as I'd completely forgotten about the Sceptre reference

And as Yamilah is miles ahead in the rankings, I nominate Jolyon Wagg to ask the next question.

This topic is closed.