Tintin Forums

Tintinologist.org Forums / [Archive/read-only] Tintin Trivia Challenge /

Q59: Speech bubble madness

Ranko
#1 · Posted: 20 Sep 2006 17:18
Aside from question marks to indicate surprise and exclamation marks to indicate alarm (or a combination of the two depending on the severity!) one of the episodes contains something other than text in a speech bubble.
Dream sequences don't count.

Book page and what is happening please?

Cheers,
Ranko
yamilah
#2 · Posted: 20 Sep 2006 18:09
I think there' s not just one episode with such special drawn bubbles, that show up e.g. in:
- The Castafiore Emerald (p.12-B2), when Nestor utters a whirl, stars and an I-shaped cloud.
- Flight 714 (p.2-D3), when Haddock utters a sabre, a porthole, an anchor and an axe.
- Tintin and the Picaros (p.52-B3), when Tintin whispers dozens of dots, aside from a few question marks.

Is that what you meant, Ranko?
Harrock n roll
#3 · Posted: 20 Sep 2006 18:26
As yamilah says, there are several occurrences where something other than text appears in a speech bubble.

Another from The Castafiore Emerald (p.10), when Haddock thinks of ways to kill the parrot!
Ranko
#4 · Posted: 20 Sep 2006 19:19
Yamilah/Harrock, point taken. However in the examples given above apart from Picaros these to me are examples of how swearing appears in comics and not what had in mind. I apologise for not making this a little clearer in the question.

What I'm thinking of occurs in an early adventure on board a boat...
Jolyon Wagg
#5 · Posted: 20 Sep 2006 22:50
Is it when he knocks down some baddies with skittles and has skittles being knocked down in a speech bubble?

Tintin in America, p61?
Ranko
#6 · Posted: 20 Sep 2006 23:17
Correct Jolyon. Well done!
Your turn.

Was there a reason this was drawn like this? Or is it just similar to the examples given above?
Harrock n roll
#7 · Posted: 20 Sep 2006 23:33
Ranko: is it just similar to the examples given above?
In retrospect the example I gave earlier - the parrot - was wrong because it's in a thought bubble not a speech bubble.

However, I found another example of an image in a speech bubble (also aboard a boat, the S.S. Ranchi) in The Blue Lotus, page 15, when Snowy wonders what has happened to Tintin.

I'm not looking for a point, just stressing that the question has more than one answer!
yamilah
#8 · Posted: 21 Sep 2006 11:24
Ranko
Was there a reason this was drawn like this? Or is it just similar to the examples given above?

Imho, your quote is quite similar to most of the examples given above, that all match the question thoroughfully!

Imho, the question should have mentioned initially that no drawn swearings were to be taken into account.
Ranko
#9 · Posted: 21 Sep 2006 19:30
yamilah
Imho, the question should have mentioned initially that no drawn swearings were to be taken into account.

Ranko
I apologise for not making this a little clearer in the question.

yamilah, IMHO see quote from my post above...

Maybe I'm bending the trivia rules by continuing on with this discussion but the example I gave describes the word "strike" as in ten pin bowling. I don't see anywhere else where another "picture bubble" simply describes a common verb.

I'll leave it at that. I think we are two questions beyond this now.

This topic is closed.