Tintin Forums

Tintinologist.org Forums / [Archive/read-only] Tintin Trivia Challenge /

Q73: Rodgers, Hammerstein & Tintin!

Harrock n roll
#1 · Posted: 27 Oct 2006 22:13
Yet another musical question from me :-)

In one book Tintin sings a couple of snatches of a song from a musical by Rodgers & Hammerstein. Can anyone name the musical and the book in which it appears?
Balthazar
#2 · Posted: 28 Oct 2006 17:00
My debut post to this fabulous site:

Tintin sings a snatch of 'Oh what a beautiful morning', from Rogers and Hammerstein's Oklahoma! on page 54 of The Shooting Star, frame D3 (bottom right frame).

Edit: Posted: 28 Oct 2006 09:05:41
Sorry, I've just noticed you asked for a couple of snatches!
He sings the second excerpt "Everything's going my way" four frames later on page 55, (frame A3)

--
[Two consecutive posts combined. -Mod]
Harrock n roll
#3 · Posted: 28 Oct 2006 19:06
Hello and welcome to the forum Balthazar!

You have answered correctly; in The Shooting Star Tintin sings a bit of ‘Oh what a beautiful morning’ which is from the Rodgers & Hammerstein musical Oklahoma!

Extra trivia: The musical was released in 1943 with the film version arriving later in 1955, five years before the English version of The Shooting Star was published. The song ‘Oh what a beautiful morning’ had become a very well-known ‘standard’ by that time.

Congratulations on getting a trivia point from your first post! Now it’s over to you for the next question.
jock123
#4 · Posted: 28 Oct 2006 23:37
Harrock n roll
‘Oh what a beautiful morning’ which is from the Rodgers & Hammerstein musical Oklahoma!
Completely off topic, but one of the two things I know about it is that originally it was to be called Oklahoma; this was right up until the night before the play opened, when it was decided that the title wasn't dynamic enough, and they felt that it needed to be pepped up - which they did by adding the !. All the programmes and posters were altered by hand, and one of the people who did the altering was Helene Hanff, a student on a scholarship with the Theatre Guild, who later went on to write 84, Charing Cross Road. The other thing I know about it was that one review said it was a show "which opens with a woman churning butter, then gets cleaner."

This topic is closed.