Tintin Forums

Tintinologist.org Forums / [Archive/read-only] Tintin Trivia Challenge /

Q94: About audio recorders

Page  Page 1 of 2:  1  2  Next » 

yamilah
#1 · Posted: 21 Nov 2006 23:34
In The Castafiore Emerald (p.51-C1) and in the Picaros (p.56-C3), settings with audio recorders can be seen.

In which other album can a similar scene be spotted?
Please quote album and page.
Balthazar
#2 · Posted: 22 Nov 2006 10:07
Such a device appears in The Black Island, page 61, bottom left-hand frame. It's being carried in a tan leather case by the journalist in the grey-blue jacket and natty scarlet pullover, who is thrusting the microphone towards Tintin and asking for a few details in Tintin's own words. (It's probably the same device that we can see lying abandoned on the quayside in the next frame, after the journalists have fled at the sight of Ranko.)
Ranko
#3 · Posted: 22 Nov 2006 12:01
I don't understand why they're all fleeing...
I'm not a bad looking chap really! :-)
yamilah
#4 · Posted: 22 Nov 2006 14:20
Here's the clue: just like with the two mentioned settings, the concerned recording is 'heard' in later dialogue bubbles.
labrador road 26
#5 · Posted: 22 Nov 2006 14:52
I would say that Balthazars answer is quite correct, you didn't specify that the recording later had to be heard (or rather seen as a comic book can't be heard).

I would also come to the conclusion that the "case" is some kind of recorder as I would believe that a live broadcasting apparatus would be bigger.

Come on Yamilah, you weren't prepared for that answer so you switch the question around. Give the man some credit, he found one of probably several answers.
Balthazar
#6 · Posted: 22 Nov 2006 16:26
Well, to answer your second question, yamilah, in Tintin in the Congo, Tintin records the baddies speaking at the bottom of page 25 and plays the recording back to the villagers in the 2nd and 3rd lines of page 26 on a gramaphone player. Is that it, or is there another revised version of your question to come? And do I get two points for answering your first question correctly and then for answering your quite different revised version as well?! ;-)

(That's just a wee joke, by the way, Scorekeeper. Just one point will be fine - assuming I'm right at all, of course!)
yamilah
#7 · Posted: 23 Nov 2006 13:45
Well done again Balthazar, I think you deserve at least one point!

I could have asked about a 'clearly delineated' audio-recorder, but I tried -most wrongly- to make it simpler, in order not to provoke more anti-intellectualism or so-called psychobabble hatred...
As you mentioned it, the 'Black Island' recorder is in a case -i.e. perfectly invisible but certainly one, as shown by the tiny wired microphone.
I was thus thinking mainly to the phonograph in Tintin in the Congo (p.25-D2), employed by Tintin to record the baddies' talk.

-------------------------
What can be said about those three books, in the light of Tintin's unique world?
Those books with clearly delineated audio-recorders also hold imaginary cameras, namely one without spools or reels (Congo), one with inappropriate spools (Emerald), and one that melts (Picaros).
Those cameras were discussed in June 2005 on https://www.tintinologist.org/forums/index.php?phrase=camera+melt&searc hType=0&where=0&forum=&sDay=16&sMonth=2&sYear=2004&eDay=18&eMonth=11&e Year=2006&posterName=&action=search&searchGo=1

Maybe those three rather dissimilar books 'with audio-recorders & impossible cameras' do have some invisible connection with both text & image?
labrador road 26
#8 · Posted: 23 Nov 2006 15:03
What does delineated mean? Here's a connection for you, all of them have both Tintin and Snowy in them, and since you sort of look for other things maybe the reporter and his dog is invisible to you.
yamilah
#9 · Posted: 23 Nov 2006 15:25
labrador road 26
What does delineated mean?
'Outlined', as it seems.
please see http://www.wordreference.com/definition/delineate

maybe the reporter and his dog is invisible to you.
I think you are barking at the wrong tree: those characters are certainly more visible than the never mentioned weird audio- & funny image-recorders' connections found in those threee rather dissimilar books!
Ranko
#10 · Posted: 23 Nov 2006 15:45
[Sigh] What do you mean this time yamilah?
I believe the imaginary camera* without the spool or reel, manifests itself into the reel that caches the shark in The Cigars of the Pharaoh.
Note that Tintin fashions this from a coffin, itself an imaginary fishing boat
You can't deny it's true.

We demand your answers...!

*Make believe

Page  Page 1 of 2:  1  2  Next » 

This topic is closed.