Tintin Forums

Tintinologist.org Forums / [Archive/read-only] Tintin Trivia Challenge /

Q94: About audio recorders

Page  Page 2 of 2:  « Previous  1  2 

yamilah
#11 · Posted: 23 Nov 2006 16:02
Ranko
I believe the imaginary camera* without the spool or reel manifests itself into the reel that caches the shark in The Cigars of the Pharaoh.

Sorry, I can't even see a reel in that setting!
jock123
#12 · Posted: 23 Nov 2006 17:02
yamilah
in order not to provoke more anti-intellectualism or so-called psychobabble hatred...

It is in the pursuit of intellectualism that people question you pronouncements, not the opposite; I for one have continually asked you for more intellectual rigour in your method, to make clear statements of your thesis and to state your terms as you use them, and frankly you haven’t delivered.

As for the “hatred” of psycho-babble, well the pursuit of knowledge is no place for it, is it?
yamilah
#13 · Posted: 23 Nov 2006 17:30
jock123
It is in the pursuit of intellectualism that people question you pronouncements

Which 'pronoucements'???
Maybe this is overinterpretating most of the remarks and observations any intellectual can do about text & image cross-matchings and interconnections found in Tintin?
jock123
#14 · Posted: 24 Nov 2006 16:51
yamilah
Which 'pronoucements'???
The tracking game, the metamorphoses, the rebus-like puzzles, the hidden messages, the Menippeah, the spatiotemporal faults, the special military initiation, the significance of a missing circumflex, indians, secret writings, Dante, Mephistopheles, toucans, paws, puns, steganography, cryptography, avatars, unseen transmission systems, witchcraft, hermetism, obscure passages, duplications, oulipians - you know, all the stuff you have brought up as being part of some alleged code or something (as you never seem to want to make that simple declarative statement of exactly what it all amounts to, I hesitate to attempt to define it myself...).

Anyway, it is in the pursuit of intellectual rigour and the clarity which ensues that members feel the need to try to make sense of what you say.

Maybe this is overinterpretating most of the remarks and observations any intellectual can do about text & image cross-matchings and interconnections found in Tintin?
I can't tell which of us this remark is aimed at, but I will assume that you mean that the majority of people who appear to try and understand your point of view by applying common sense, non-arbitrary rules, clear thinking and the laws of parsimony think that you are overinterpreting, seeing patterns where none exist. That I would agree with.
yamilah
#15 · Posted: 24 Nov 2006 18:46
Yes, Tintin's word is unique indeed, but you forgot to mention the key to the drawer has been hidden in a vase by Bianca (The Emerald p.14), and a unique vase is narrowly connected with the military*, and leads to the 'broken pitcher' proverb (The Red Sea Sharks, p.25), that implicitly requires a potter, and the 'potter'-like Genevan draughtsman-writer most likely holds the key to the drawer via coherent cross-matchings between text and image!
jock123
#16 · Posted: 25 Nov 2006 13:38
yamilah
you forgot to mention the key to the drawer has been hidden in a vase by Bianca...
Thank you for providing such an excellent and witty illustration of the point I just made: your ability to string together such disparate elements without a shred of process, evidence, clear rules or any reasonable system is indeed a prime example of seeing patterns where none exist. Well done!

Page  Page 2 of 2:  « Previous  1  2 

This topic is closed.