Tintin Forums

Tintinologist.org Forums / [Archive/read-only] Tintin Trivia Challenge /

Q96: Newspapers from the islands

yamilah
#1 · Posted: 23 Nov 2006 18:11
Such newspapers include:
- the 'Daily Paper' from London (Congo, p.11)
- the 'Daily Reporter' from Glasgow (The Black Island, p.62)
- the 'London Magazine' (The Calculus Affair, p.13).

Which other newspaper does belong to an island?
jockosjungle
#2 · Posted: 23 Nov 2006 19:33
Sorry I really don't understand this question

R
Ranko
#3 · Posted: 23 Nov 2006 19:47
Dont worry jockosjungle. I think yamilah means "which island nation produces a newspaper" IE; London and Glasgow are part of the island of Great Britain

Didn't a paper appear from Australia at some point?
Balthazar
#4 · Posted: 24 Nov 2006 00:03
In The Blue Lotus - page 22, 3rd line down, fourth frame across - a street news vendor is seen selling copies of 'The Tokyo Express'. (Japan consists of more than one island, of course, and I see from my atlas that Tokyo is situated on the largest of these, Honshu.)

That was quite a good brain teaser, I thought, as Japan is one of those countries portrayed in a Tintin book that are never actually visited by Tintin, so easy to overlook.
yamilah
#5 · Posted: 24 Nov 2006 09:31
Good job Balthazar!
The clue would have precisely been 'this island belongs to an archipelago'.
'The Tokyo Express': a trademark that could be added to Levent's list.

Your turn for next question!
Harrock n roll
#6 · Posted: 26 Nov 2006 18:47
- the 'Daily Paper' from London (Congo, p.11)
- the 'Daily Reporter' from Glasgow (The Black Island, p.62)
- the 'London Magazine' (The Calculus Affair, p.13).

The 'Daily Paper' and 'London Magazine' do indeed appear in the French editions. But in the English books it's the 'London Daily' in Tintin in the Congo and 'The Daily Reporter' in The Calculus Affair, a fictional newspaper which also appears in many of the other Tintin books.

Not that this info has much bearing on the question itself (or that it even matters now that the answer has been given), just another reminder that we are supposed to refer to the English-language editions in the Trivia quiz according to the rules and not any other editions. I believe the rule is there to avoid confusion with mixing editions and because most people on the forum only know the English books.
yamilah
#7 · Posted: 27 Nov 2006 09:57
Thanks Harrock n roll for those precisions.

This topic is closed.