Tintin Forums

Tintinologist.org Forums / [Archive/read-only] Tintin Trivia Challenge /

Q104: About black people

Page  Page 1 of 2:  1  2  Next » 

yamilah
#1 · Posted: 28 Nov 2006 19:35
Black people can be spotted in the Congo, in America (p.1), in Cigars (p.13-19, sailors on the dhow), in The Broken Ear (p.15, Tintin's disguise), in The Black Gold (mainly Smith's guards), in The Red Sea Sharks (p.46-57) and in Tintin and the Picaros (p.54-C1, carnival scene)

In which other album can black people be spotted?
Please quote album and page.
Ranko
#2 · Posted: 28 Nov 2006 21:07
Do you mean the sole black person in the queue of people claiming to be descended from Red Rackham? In the 3-in-1 this is on page 5 of (quite obviously) Red Rackham's Treasure
yamilah
#3 · Posted: 28 Nov 2006 21:24
Yes, this man is sole, and the expected answer is about 'black people'!
The clue is two sitting black men, to be precise!
Balthazar
#4 · Posted: 28 Nov 2006 22:15
They're on page 22 of the Blue Lotus (bottom line, middle frame), sitting in the United Nations chamber in Geneva.
Ranko
#5 · Posted: 28 Nov 2006 22:29
Given that some of your examples are of single black people What's wrong with my answer? Or is this another case of rule changing?
yamilah
#6 · Posted: 29 Nov 2006 13:30
What I had in mind was indeed The Blue Lotus (p.22-E2), with the couple of black men at the S.D.N.
As someone did in Q59 about 'speech bubble madness', I 'apologise for not making this a little clearer in the question'!

I suggest the Score Keeper gives one point to both Ranko and Balthazar, if that's possible.
Balthazar
#7 · Posted: 29 Nov 2006 14:16
Personally, I' m more than happy to go along with whatever the score-keeper thinks fair. I'd guessed the Blue Lotus scene was what yamilah was after just before I logged on and read her clue, but not because I'd paid special attention to the plurality demanded by her original question - I hadn't even thought of the Red Rackham descendent, which Ranko got in first with.

(I should have put the League of Nations, by the way, not the United Nations - not that it really affects my answer!)

Anyway, whether we both get a point or not, do you want to put forward the next question, Ranko, since you answered first? Or do you want me to pose the next question, so you can have a shot at playing for the next point? You choose!
Harrock n roll
#8 · Posted: 29 Nov 2006 14:49
Aah, the refreshing odour of diplomacy in action! :-)

As an amusing aside, the gentleman to which Ranko refers was given a make-over courtesy of the Golden Press publishing house (see here.)
There's one they forgot to ask Hergé to redraw!
Ranko
#9 · Posted: 29 Nov 2006 17:34
I will gratefully accept the point. Anyway, thanks for picking up on the preciseness of your question yamilah. It helps us all in the long run.

Balthazar
Please go ahead and pose the question. I enjoyed your Q102, I hope you've got a few more like that.

Harrock
Has the same thing happened to the woman and baby on P47 of Tintin in America? Was this an example of being re-drawn for the Egmont 3-in-1? Sorry if it's been discussed.
Harrock n roll
#10 · Posted: 29 Nov 2006 18:02
Ranko
Has the same thing happened to the woman and baby on P47 of Tintin in America? Was this an example of being re-drawn for the Egmont 3-in-1?

The baby was redrawn for the American publisher Little, Brown sometime in the 70s and is the same in all language editions now. Before that in the late 50s some other black characters were removed from Crab for Golden Press and redrawn by Hergé for all subsequent editions (see the Golden Press article).

The difference with the Rackham man at the end of the queue is that he can only be found in the Golden Press edition.
The publishers took it upon themselves to alter him, so either he was overlooked or Hergé didn't want to change him!

Page  Page 1 of 2:  1  2  Next » 

This topic is closed.