Tintin Forums

Tintinologist.org Forums / [Archive/read-only] Tintin Trivia Challenge /

Q152: Laundry Day

Page  Page 1 of 2:  1  2  Next » 

castafiole
#1 · Posted: 6 Mar 2007 22:14
Ok, took me a bit, but I thought of one.

After a discussion in another thread about the characters' personal hygiene during adventures...

Where in the canon can you find an example of Tintin wearing something other than his usual outfit, specifically because his usual clothes are in the wash?
ben001
#2 · Posted: 7 Mar 2007 01:42
In The Black Island when the plane crashes in Scotland and is taken in by a farmer
castafiole
#3 · Posted: 7 Mar 2007 02:12
Hi Ben001,

Nice try, but no. Tintin has to change his clothes in The Black Island because they get shredded; he's thrown clear of the plane and lands in the gorse bushes.
lintondrums
#4 · Posted: 7 Mar 2007 10:43
Is it something to do with that parcel tintin has got in the blue lotus when he is dressed as a chinese person.
castafiole
#5 · Posted: 7 Mar 2007 12:51
Also a good try, Lintondrums, but Tintin changes his clothes from "western" to "eastern" dress at the behest of the person he's supposed to meet, so he can pass relatively undetected in the crowds in Shanghai. Not what I was thinking of.
edcharlesadams
Trivia Challenge Score Keeper
#6 · Posted: 9 Mar 2007 15:21
As it's been over 48 hours since the question was set, it's time to give the answer please Castafiole.

Ed
castafiole
#7 · Posted: 9 Mar 2007 17:29
Yikes, this was clearly harder than I intended it to be!

"Destination Moon", page 51, we see Tintin, Captain Haddock and Professor Calculus in Mr. Baxter's office, having a debrief. Tintin's coveralls are buttoned all the way up, and his collar is turned up. Up until then, we have always seen his trademark blue sweater and white shirt collar peeking out of his coveralls. At no other point in the entire story arc do we see him without his sweater (except for when he's wearing PJs), and there is nothing in the previous pages that would indicate that his regular clothes have been shredded or otherwise rendered unfit to wear.

So, the most logical conclusion I come to is that it's laundry day, his regular clothes are being washed, and he is wearing is coveralls to...well...cover all.

Sorry if this proved too confusing!
jockosjungle
#8 · Posted: 10 Mar 2007 18:39
Or maybe he just changed his clothes? You said specifically that his clothes are in the wash and at no point does anyone refer to his clothes needing washing (as I and I'm sure others would have assumed).

The idea is meant to be trivia, not guess my opinion on what I think might have happened.

R

Moderator Note: I don't think there is the need to resort to sarcasm, Rik; as a member of long-standing you might have taken the time to point out to castafiole - a new member - what you thought might have improved her question and made it easier to answer. She is not the first person to have formulated a question where the question may not have been as clear as they imagined, and I doubt she will be the last. In the mean time, let's all play nicely together shall we? Many thanks!
The Tintinologist Team
lintondrums
#9 · Posted: 11 Mar 2007 14:20
so what happens now...

Who is going to say the next question??
jockosjungle
#10 · Posted: 11 Mar 2007 20:34
I think anyone can post the next question

R

Page  Page 1 of 2:  1  2  Next » 

This topic is closed.