Tintin Forums

Tintinologist.org Forums / [Archive/read-only] Tintin Trivia Challenge /

Q190: 'bird' delivering 'bird'

Page  Page 2 of 2:  « Previous  1  2 

tuhatkauno
#11 · Posted: 21 Apr 2007 10:51
hi Ranko

I thought the duck is carrying the cockerel. The duck is flying and the cock is standing on its back as a passenger. Can you see my point (if there's any)?

I admit not to be very proud of this question. he, he
Ranko
#12 · Posted: 21 Apr 2007 12:49
No. Look at the texture on the plinth and the position of the duck, and how ragged those wing feathers are. He aint flying anywhere :-)
tuhatkauno
#13 · Posted: 21 Apr 2007 13:16
hej

After a long and exhausting flight (the duck has a heavy cock on its back)the duck is reaching its goal. Right now (in the statue) the duck is landing and braking. That's why its wing feathers are ragged. And the duck is delivering the cock to the soldier for some reason or another. Maybe the soldier has asked the duck to bring him a cock to keep up the fighting spirit. And now the task of the duck is completed, the cock is delivered to the poor soldier. Ain't that obvious. Or like Labrador said:

"Damn, I should have thought of that"

he, he :o{ <--- Kurvi-Tasches

EDIT: Actually the duck is Swiss guards battle duck normally used in Vatican. This time he was sent to perform a special duty. The motive of the task is unknown.
Balthazar
#14 · Posted: 21 Apr 2007 16:11
That isn't a duck on that war memorial - it's an eagle! (Look at the way its beak curves downwards at the front.) To be precise, it's a German/Prussian imperial eagle, and the cock, as the national bird-symbol of France is, as Ranko correctly points out, standing on it and crushing it in victory. It's absolutely unthinkable that a French war memorial (erected following the First World War) would be depicting the French cock being given a ride or any kind of support from a German eagle.

(Sorry if that reads like another 'lecture' Tuhatkauno. I'm not usually quite so forthright and definite in my postings, but in this case, I'm pretty sure I'm right!)

If you want to award points and the next question to anyone who's answered so far, Tuhatkauno, I'm not in any way arguing that you shouldn't. But if there is still a proper answer to your original question out there to be found, I think you should let it run till we get it, if only for the fun of it (not that I have any idea what it is!) Or at least tell us what it was you were after.

Edit: Re-reading that, I'm worried that it looks like I'm being mean-spirited about Alvarolino's well-spotted and ingenious answer, and that I'm trying to interfer with tuhatkauno's decision. Apologies; I wasn't meaning to do either. I was just trying to tighten-up the accuracy of the the interpretation of the war memorial, and wondering what tuhatkauno's original answer was.
tuhatkauno
#15 · Posted: 21 Apr 2007 16:27
Hi

Of course, Balthazar, thanks

Final judgement: a point and the turn to Alvarolino,
an extra point to Labrador and Ranko

Are we cool now? The things went out of my hands. To be honest I thought that the bird was a duck, me and my stupid jokes.
Balthazar
#16 · Posted: 21 Apr 2007 16:40
tuhatkauno
...me and my stupid jokes.

It wasn't stupid; your jokey scenario explaining the "duck" and cock's flight was good.

tuhatkauno
Are we cool now?
Always cool. But I'm still wondering what the answer you originally had in mind was. It sounded like an interesting question. Or are you too afraid of Jock's stern but fair judgement on your question-setting abilities to reveal it? If so, you're probably being too modest; your questions are generally very clear and interesting.

By the way, why the fear of haggis? I can't believe you Finns don't have some similar dish, made from the internal organs of reindeer.
tuhatkauno
#17 · Posted: 21 Apr 2007 16:51
I can't believe you Finns don't have some similar dish, made from the internal organs of reindeer.

Sure we have all kind of dishes made form the internal organs. I don't eat them. But haggis has got them all. Once I saw a document about making haggis and I thought that haggis involves all the things I don't eat. If someone asks me, is there anyting you don't eat, all I have to say the things of which haggis is made. :)

Oh, yes, I made the question ex tempore without thinking very much at all.
waveofplague
#18 · Posted: 21 Apr 2007 20:28
Tuhano,

I'm American but I did visit Scotland once and sampled haggis. In short, it was a savory dish, but I didn't take more than one small bite because I knew, sort of, what I was eating, and I was somewhat gunshy.

All you need to know is that its flavor is savory!
tuhatkauno
#19 · Posted: 21 Apr 2007 21:09
Hi Plagu,

I could taste a little piece of haggish, no problem. I think I might taste delicious if you have drunk enough whisky. But I don't drink, that's a big problem. You know, our neighbours, Swedes, eat sour herring (syrströmming) and its flavor is something that I cannot describe. I have once tasted it (it is rotten fish) but that's nothing compared with its smell. But it is not supposed to eat when you are sober, at least Swedes drink quite a lot vodka before eating it. Labrador could tell more about syrströmming. :)
waveofplague
#20 · Posted: 21 Apr 2007 21:19
Atkauno, you might taste delicious to cannibals but it all depends on your diet and lifestyle. The same principles apply to humans as apply to livestock! I doubt you have eaten nothing but wholesome grain your whole life. :)

On that same journey I did also visit a Scottish distillery and had a free sample of whisky. Otherwise I only drink wine and occasionally beer.

Hatka, I do believe we will be persecuted for not discussing Tintin in these esteemed forums, so email me at waveofplague at hotmail dot com!

Page  Page 2 of 2:  « Previous  1  2 

This topic is closed.