Tintin Forums

Tintinologist.org Forums / [Archive/read-only] Tintin Trivia Challenge /

Q244: Real but far away

labrador road 26
#1 · Posted: 3 Jun 2007 18:14
From hen to "pen" as the previous question had hen (or rather hens) as a clue.

Where do someone that should be in one name a real "pen" that is quite far away from the person himself?

Book, character and scene will do, page optional.
jockosjungle
#2 · Posted: 3 Jun 2007 20:18
Are we talking about Parker? As in Parker Pen

The Red Sea Sharks - page 36, frame 14

R
labrador road 26
#3 · Posted: 3 Jun 2007 20:46
I really don't understand your answer, I can only find 13 frames on page 36 and no references to Parker, pen or no pen.

The "pen" is short for something and it is not for writing, more like holding.
tintinspartan
#4 · Posted: 4 Jun 2007 06:45
We don't understand what the question means. Please justify a bit clearer.
Balthazar
#5 · Posted: 4 Jun 2007 08:48
Actually, I think I do understand what the question means. I think labrador means "pen" as in the common abreviation of state penitentiary - ie: a US prison.

In Tintin in America, Bobby Smiles uses the names of two famous "state pens" as expletives - Sing Sing and Alcatraz, between p.20 and p.24 (and later on as well, maybe.) eg: "Sing Sing! Redskins! How do I talk my way out of this one?", and , "Alcatraz! What a drop!"

As the question said, Bobby Smiles should be in a pen himself, but is quite far away from either of the real ones that he mentions.
labrador road 26
#6 · Posted: 4 Jun 2007 13:49
You're absolutely right Mr. Balthazar, the "pen" is penitentiary and I actually missed Sing Sing so I was asking about Alcatraz which is in San Fransisco and Bobby Smiles is somewhere close to Chicago. Either way, Sing Sing is also far away, and Bobby should serve some time in one of them, or perhaps one closer to the "windy city".

Maybe I was wrong in believing "pen" is a quite common word, I've heard it in several films so I just thought everyone know the word, sorry for that.

A point to Balthazar Mr. Scorekeeper if you will.

This topic is closed.