Tintin Forums

Tintinologist.org Forums / Other comics /

Asterix 33, a.k.a. "Asterix and the Falling Sky"

Page  Page 2 of 2:  « Previous  1  2 

advnarayan
#11 · Posted: 22 Oct 2005 03:36
hello all,
i havent read the new asterix yet- but from the reviews i read- it seems that disney charachters superman and famed japanese cartoon charachters are spoofed- reminds me of the randy lofficier comic (you know the author of TINTIN; THE POCKET ESSENTIAL COMPANION and creator of Teen Titan TIN) had a pastiche comic- i forgot the title where superman visits gaul, now the original pokes fun at the pastiche!!!- interesting
John Sewell
#12 · Posted: 20 Nov 2005 16:00
Finally got a copy of this, and, well... I feel a bit guilty actually, as I've always enjoyed Asterix, but this didn't do anything at all for me :-(

I can sort of understand the feeling behind the satirising of US and Japanese pop culture, but it's all rather too heavy-handed, and so out of step with the rest of the series that I felt like I was reading a spoof or parody at times. Uderzo's solo stories have had a tendency to feature more magic and fantasy than that those written by Goscinny (magic potion apart) so maybe aliens are just a progression on these themes. Obviously, this is Asterix we're talking about, so I'm not expecting gritty realism, but even so...

A mate of mine who works in the Norwich branch of Ottokars told me that The Falling Sky has been referred to in the trade as "Asterix Jumps The Shark", a harsh, but not inaccurate assessment, IMO. It'd be a shame if this was the final book in the series, as it would be going out on a downer. It may be late in the day, some 27 years and umpteen books post-Goscinny, but maybe the Venerable Albert should consider collaborating with someone to tidy up the storyline next time around?
midnightblueowl
#13 · Posted: 4 Jan 2006 20:00
Hello
Tintin in Congo has been disallowed in english for 75 years due to it's depiction of black people, but in the Asterix book, there is a similar picture- and that was allowed!
Tintinrulz
#14 · Posted: 7 May 2006 08:47
Actually Toon reminded me of a Tellytubbie, not Mickey Mouse. I didn't really go for it. Bit too modernised for me. I thought Nagma was a cool looking character though.
Very little story, it went so much quicker than the average Asterix comic. Some good puns and some good satire but I still found it severly lacking.
Tintinrulz
#15 · Posted: 7 May 2006 13:48
Hmmm... Actually now that I've read this Tintin in the Picaros isn't all that bad. And that's saying something for me.
cuthbert
#16 · Posted: 9 May 2006 18:40
Hello
Tintin in Congo has been disallowed in english for 75 years due to it's depiction of black people, but in the Asterix book, there is a similar picture- and that was allowed!

Yes. But do all french people have enormous noses, are they extremely fat or do they have beards that reach to the ground? Nope. The difference in Hergé drawing black people in a silly way and Uderzo doing so is that Hergés other characters are a lot more realistic. Also, Uderzo doesn't openly discriminate in the story which Hergé does do in 'Congo'.
Furienna
#17 · Posted: 23 Mar 2019 00:13
I know I'm in the minority here, but I for one liked this story. Oh yeah, it is very different. And even for a hugely fantasy-based series like "Asterix", this is really off the wall. But still, I enjoyed it.

Page  Page 2 of 2:  « Previous  1  2 

Please be sure to familiarize yourself with the Forum Posting Guidelines.

Disclaimer: Tintinologist.org assumes no responsibility for any content you post to the forums/web site. Staff reserve the right to remove any submitted content which they deem in breach of Tintinologist.org's Terms of Use. If you spot anything on Tintinologist.org that you think is inappropriate, please alert the moderation team. Sometimes things slip through, but we will always act swiftly to remove unauthorised material.

Forgot password
Please log in to post. No account? Create one!