Tintin Forums

Tintinologist.org Forums / Other comics /

Blake & Mortimer: The Nelvana series on DVD

Page  Page 1 of 2:  1  2  Next » 

tintinuk
Moderator Emeritus
#1 · Posted: 8 Mar 2005 19:25
I noticed these 'Blake Et Mortimer' (E.P. Jacobs) DVDs [with an English-language audio track and subtitles] a while ago on Amazon.fr - just wondering if anyone's watched them, as I'm wondering if it's worth buying a copy.

Incidently, it shares the director of the Ellipse-Nelvana series, Stéphane Bernasconi.

They look very intriguing ... Just curious as to whether anyone has any more information !
SingingGandalf
#2 · Posted: 11 Apr 2006 18:02
Hi
Has anyone seen a Blake and Mortimer Ellipse/Nelvana DVD box set? I've seen the individual DVDs, but it costs loads to buy them all, that's why I'm looking for a box set. Many thanks.
Richard
UK Correspondent
#3 · Posted: 22 Apr 2006 15:08
Another one from the Bay! I've just checked their site - here - and fans will be pleased to find it's all twenty-six episodes in a four disc box set. According to Play.com, the episode list is:

1. Mystery of The Great Pyramid
2. The Yellow Mark
3. Swordfish Versus Delta Red
4. The Atlantis Enigma
5. Heavy Weather
6. The Infernal Machine
7. The Ghost and The Necklace
8. Professor Sato's Three Formulæ
9. The Francis Blake Affair
10. The Viking's Bequest
11. The Secret of Easter Island
12. The Alchemist's Will
13. The Druid

Couple of title changes (Le Secret de l'Espadon to Swordfish Versus Delta Red, and SOS Météores to Heavy Weather), but on the whole it sounds fantastic - although I won't be able to watch Heavy Weather without thinking of the Blandings book by P.G. Wodehouse.

Consider one ordered here!

Anchor Bay, I take my hat off to you.
tybaltstone
#4 · Posted: 22 Apr 2006 18:50
Wow, that's marvellous. I have a couple of the French DVDs and think they're pretty nicely made. They include a short bio of M. Jacobs too - I wonder if they'll have it as an extra and subtitle it?
tintinuk
Moderator Emeritus
#5 · Posted: 22 Apr 2006 19:04
This sounds fantastic! I've got two of the French DVDs (the first box set) and they've also got some great animated menus in 3D. I expect they'd be difficult to reuse in the UK version though. :o)
Richard
UK Correspondent
#6 · Posted: 13 May 2006 13:06
My set arrived this morning, and I have to say I'm not disappointed! A few thoughts:

It's really nicely packaged (in fact I prefer it to the Tintin releases) - a foldout digipack holding the four discs, and a leaflet explaining the background to the series. The episodes are clear and sharp, the same quality as the French releases as far as I can see. There's a brief 3D animated menu (not the one used in the French release) but it's nice enough. There's a 'play all' and episode selection option, each story being split into two parts.

Sadly there's no sign of the Jacobs documentary, and there's no subtitles or French language tracks either, just Dolby 2.0 stereo. But to get every episode at this price is an absolute bargain and I'm very much looking forward to watching them all!
SingingGandalf
#7 · Posted: 13 May 2006 13:53
It sounds like it's packaged in the same way as the limited edition Tintin boxset that was sold only in HMV - that's the box set I have (it doesn't have the Tintin documentary though).
Richard
UK Correspondent
#8 · Posted: 13 May 2006 17:47
SingingGandalf
It sounds like it's packaged in the same way as the limited edition Tintin boxset that was sold only in HMV - that's the box set I have (it doesn't have the Tintin documentary though).

Yes, that's exactly what it's like, except the Tintin set has five discs. I meant that the whole presentation of it looks more colourful and lively - this is what the inside looks like (with leaflet). The HMV edition is the one I have too, it's more compact than the ten disc version- which, as proven, could be halved in size.
SingingGandalf
#9 · Posted: 14 May 2006 13:22
I've ordered mine from amazon. It's official release is tomorrow - the 15th.
But what interests me is why they released it. Of course I'm very glad that they have, but not a lot of copies will be sold. I mean how many people in the English speaking world know of Blake and Mortimer? It can't be many. The show hasn't been on TV like Tintin has so I don't know how children would know about it and therefore want the DVDs. I wouldn't be suprised if this is a one off release, so grab your copies now.
jock123
#10 · Posted: 15 May 2006 11:13
SingingGandalf
what interests me is why they released it. Of course I'm very glad that they have, but not a lot of copies will be sold. I mean how many people in the English speaking world know of Blake and Mortimer?

Well, we do!

Look at all the manga disks which are available in the UK - few if any of the titles are what you could call household names, but you find them in the shops all the same.

Anchor Bay are obviously trying to build the market for BD titles in much the same way as the manga industry have done, and more power to them. Hopefully in-store promotion will help bring them to the attention of the un-initiated.

Page  Page 1 of 2:  1  2  Next » 

Please be sure to familiarize yourself with the Forum Posting Guidelines.

Disclaimer: Tintinologist.org assumes no responsibility for any content you post to the forums/web site. Staff reserve the right to remove any submitted content which they deem in breach of Tintinologist.org's Terms of Use. If you spot anything on Tintinologist.org that you think is inappropriate, please alert the moderation team. Sometimes things slip through, but we will always act swiftly to remove unauthorised material.

Forgot password
Please log in to post. No account? Create one!