Tintin Forums

Tintinologist.org Forums / Other comics /

Help! My Tintin is running out!

Page  Page 1 of 2:  1  2  Next » 

leo
#1 · Posted: 18 Mar 2011 02:06
I started reading Tintin stories from 30 years ago. And now, I'm reading them to my 6 year old son. Like his father, he loves it and couldn't put his hands down even he is only reading the pictures.

I read 10-15 pages to him every day (the collection version), and he will always read more after I tell him "OK, that's all for today, and we will find out what happens next tomorrow". Like his father, he is a huge fan of Tintin too.

But now, we are down to the LAST TWO stories!!!!!!
What should I do?
What should I do??
After tintin story is over, what should I do???
What else can I read to my son???
Are there any other comics close to Tintin's level???

I'm stuck, I'm stuck, I'm helpless! Everyone - please help me!

Please let me know there is something out there close to Tintin! Please give me a few names!

- From a desparate father (helpless people need to use caps hoping to get answers!!!), a Tintin fan, Thank you!

Moderator Note:
leo:
(helpless people need to use caps hoping to get answers!!!)

We do understand that desperate circumstances can lead to desperate measures; however, overusing upper-case does make a message difficult to read, so we have had to tone down the capitalization of your post (hopefully without reducing the impact too much!)

The Happy Tintinologist Team
tuhatkauno
#2 · Posted: 18 Mar 2011 13:09
leo

Why don't you read them again to your son? :-)
jock123
#3 · Posted: 18 Mar 2011 16:30
You could also think about the Jo, Zette and Jocko books, also by Hergé, if you can find them.

There are also the Blake & Mortimer books by E.P. Jacobs, several of which are now available in English (by Jacobs and some later authors also) - they have a similar feel to Tintin, although your son may be a little too young for those yet.

However, you couldn't do better than to pick up the current work of Garen Ewing, long-time board member and designer of our logo.

The Rainbow Orchid - the first in what is hoped to be a series of the Adventures of Julius Chancer - is being published in three volumes by Egmont; volumes 1 and 2 are already in the shops, and Garen is currently hard at work completing the saga.

Beautiful clear-line art, engaging characters, and a strong story jam-packed with intrigue and adventure!

Garen's web-site is also a treasure-trove of information about his work, so also worth a look: The Rainbow Orchid
Balthazar
#4 · Posted: 18 Mar 2011 18:40
I agree with Jock that the closest thing you'll find to Tintin are Hergé's other comic books.

He produced five books in the Jo, Zette and Jocko series that Jock mentioned. A bit more info here, and more elsewhere on line, I'm sure:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jo,_Zette_and_Jocko

And there's a one-off comic book Hergé wrote and drew for younger children called (in English) Popol Out West:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Popol_out_West

And there are various collections of strips about two mischeivious Brussels children, Quick and Flupke.

None of these tend to be rated as highly as the Tintin books, but they're all good, and all great for a six-year-old. From checking on Amazon, the English translations of Jo Zette and Jocko, and of Popol Out West, seem to be out of print. But they were published in English not all that long ago, so you might find second-hand copies around. Or you could quite easily follow Popol in the original French from the pictures if you bought it from the French Amazon site, and teach your six-year-old some French the fun way:

http://www.amazon.fr/Popol-Virginie-pays-Lapinos-fac-similé/dp/220301 4490/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1300469043&sr=8-1

And a couple of Qiuick and Flupke books have recently been published in English and are available:

http://www.amazon.co.uk/s/ref=nb_sb_ss_c_1_16?url=search-alias%3Dstrip books&field-keywords=quick+and+flupke&sprefix=quick+and+flupke

They might be your easiest and cheapest bet.

The other long-established European comic series is, of course, the Asterix books. Nothing like Tintin in style and content, but often shelved near the Tintin books in shops, especially in the days when they were about the only European comic books available in Britain. Many adults tend to gravitate towards being either Tintin fans or Asterix fans, but it's possible to like both, and I did as a child. There's plenty for a six year old to enjoy in an Asterix book. The ones written by Goscinny are the best. (The artist, Uderzo, took over the writing when Goscinny died.)

I also agree with Tuhatkauno that re-reading the Tintin book endlessly is a good option. I must have read them all dozens of times and I'm still spotting new things.
Morganson
#5 · Posted: 19 Mar 2011 00:36
You could also try Asterix. It's quite different from Tintin but I know a lot of kids who really like both series. And if your son doesn't enjoy them now, I'm sure he'll enjoy them in a few years.

Also, Rupert Bear is a good comic for kids. Again, this isn't much like Tintin but me and my friends and brothers enjoyed them when we were kids (and I'm sure many of friends still enjoy them).
mct16
#6 · Posted: 19 Mar 2011 01:24
"Asterix" sprang to my mind as well. "Lucky Luke" is in the same vein and being set in the Wild West might also make it appealing to a growing boy.

When it comes to Belgian comics translated into English, Cinebook is a good place to start.
Mikael Uhlin
#7 · Posted: 20 Mar 2011 11:29
I would suggest Spirou & Fantasio, especially the stories made by Franquin, but I'm not sure if they're available in English.
mct16
#8 · Posted: 20 Mar 2011 12:24
Mikael Uhlin:
I would suggest Spirou & Fantasio, especially the stories made by Franquin, but I'm not sure if they're available in English.

A couple are available at Cinebook but were written by Tome and Janry and are not, in my opinion, that great.

"Z is for Zorglub", one of the best of the Franquin era, is available at Amazon, but a lottery win would probably be in order before you buy it!

How about the Smurfs? I imagine a boy that age would enjoy them. Amazon has quite a selection now.

Additional: a number of Spirou and Fantasio books from the Franquin era are now available from India. Some good ones can be obtained from Flipkart.com.
Mikael Uhlin
#9 · Posted: 20 Mar 2011 18:19
mct16:
a number of Spirou and Fantasio books from the Franquin era are now available from India. Some good ones can be obtained from Flipkart.com

All the ones on that page are great!

mct16:
A couple are available at Cinebook but were written by Tome and Janry and are not, in my opinion, that great

I agree even if the Tome & Janry-stories are the next best after Franquin.
leo
#10 · Posted: 21 Mar 2011 21:31
Thank you for all your reply!!!!!

Those are very good choices, if you have more to recommend, I would love to hear the names. These books are not that easy to find in the the USA, what a pity!

Seems I need to spend some time to find something, or buy a lottery first!

Page  Page 1 of 2:  1  2  Next » 

Please be sure to familiarize yourself with the Forum Posting Guidelines.

Disclaimer: Tintinologist.org assumes no responsibility for any content you post to the forums/web site. Staff reserve the right to remove any submitted content which they deem in breach of Tintinologist.org's Terms of Use. If you spot anything on Tintinologist.org that you think is inappropriate, please alert the moderation team. Sometimes things slip through, but we will always act swiftly to remove unauthorised material.

Forgot password
Please log in to post. No account? Create one!