Tintin Forums

Tintin Forums / Other comics /

Blake & Mortimer: Chronology inconsistensies?

c0dehunter
#1 · Posted: 29 Nov 2016 01:32 · Edited by: Moderator
Hello all,
I am at a loss here: You see, according to this page which lists the official chronology of the series, so I started at the very first story (Plutarch's Staff), which is supposed to be the very first one, but in the story there are references to previous stories (denoted with an '*', for instance, on page 26, the footnote says: "*See The Sarcophagi of the Sixth Continent"

How is this even possible, when The Sarcophagi of the Sixth Continent is supposed to have happened in 1958, and Plutarch's Staff in 1944?
mct16
#2 · Posted: 29 Nov 2016 13:48
"The Sarcophagi of the Sixth Continent" includes flashbacks to when Blake and Mortimer first met as young men in what I think was the 1930s. The footnote in "Plutarch's Staff" is a reference to that event.
mct16
#3 · Posted: 24 Jan 2020 16:15
Just to clarify for new readers of this post: "The Sarcophagi of the Sixth Continent" takes place mainly in 1958 but includes scenes from the 1930s when Blake and Mortimer first meet in India. These 1930s scenes are necessary to explain events later in the story (in 1958). It would therefore be best to read "Sarcophagi" as if it were, on the whole, set in 1958.

An actual chronology of the series can be found here.
castacalc
#4 · Posted: 14 Feb 2020 11:41 · Edited by: castacalc
Well, now I'm confused! I've just started with The Great Pyramid story, and realised the Swordfish ones precede it. But according to Wikipedia 'The U-Ray' was the first. Although it's not yet in English as far as I can see. The U-Ray Amazon
mct16
#5 · Posted: 17 Feb 2020 00:11
"The U-Ray" is not actually part of the Blake and Mortimer series. The publishers are linking it to "Blake & Mortimer" in order to attract interest but they do not actually appear in the story. It is more Flash Gordon that Blake and Mortimer.

More details can be found on Cool French Comics or the Wikipedia entry (much of which was written by yours truly :)

Please be sure to familiarize yourself with the Forum Posting Guidelines.

Disclaimer: Tintinologist.org assumes no responsibility for any content you post to the forums/web site. Staff reserve the right to remove any submitted content which they deem in breach of Tintinologist.org's Terms of Use. If you spot anything on Tintinologist.org that you think is inappropriate, please alert the moderation team. Sometimes things slip through, but we will always act swiftly to remove unauthorised material.

?
Please sign in to post. New here? Sign up!