Tintin Forums

Tintinologist.org Forums / Tintin collectibles (official merchandise only) /

Wanted: Ellipse-Nelvana - Region 1 DVDs?

Page  Page 1 of 2:  1  2  Next » 

skut
#1 · Posted: 6 Sep 2004 21:37
I would love to get a set, but my DVD player won't play Region 2 DVDs... Are they available with Region 1 coding?
Big Ren
#2 · Posted: 7 Sep 2004 16:10
If your PC has a DVD ROM drive it may be able to play Region 2, alternatively there are North American players which can read Region 2 and output NTSC, search for "Pal Compatible Players In North America".
jockosjungle
#3 · Posted: 7 Sep 2004 20:24
What sort of DVD player do you own Skut (make and model) there may well be a remote control 'hack' for it that would make it region free with a press of a few buttons.

Most modern TV's in the UK will output in either PAL or NTSC format, no idea if North American sets are the same. My cheapo ALBA DVD player also has an option to switch the mode.

As a small consolation DVDSoon will sell you a R1 copy of The Lake of Sharks

Rik
skut
#4 · Posted: 8 Sep 2004 19:50
I've seen the "bootleg" Tintin DVD sets - from China or Hong Kong I believe - and although everyone on E-Bay tells me they will play just fine on my Sony region 1 DVD player, I don't want to spend all that money on something so dubious. So hopefully there will be a proper region 1 release in the future...
decimusphostle
#5 · Posted: 9 Sep 2004 03:45
Well said, skut. I went to India to visit my relatives over the summer and I found lots of VCDs, as well as DVDs from the series. I bought a few VCDs and they work fine on my Region 1 player here in the US (although that's because VCDs are not region-specific)
skut
#6 · Posted: 9 Sep 2004 18:35
I've noticed that those Chinese DVDs have disappeared from E-Bay - maybe Moulinsart put the kibosh on them? Interesting is that someone has put out a series of Tintin VCDs - check out this E-Bay link for more:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&category=27342&item=6321399314&rd=1

While I don't want to support the bootleg industry, it would be nice to have some of these...
Martine
#7 · Posted: 10 Oct 2004 16:38
At least the tin box is nice...

I was about to do proper research for the DVDs now, but this thread opened my eyes......does this mena there are NO region 1 DVDs??????? (official, I mean)
jockosjungle
#8 · Posted: 10 Oct 2004 18:50
No region 1 disks exist

Ril
Pelaphus
#9 · Posted: 11 Oct 2004 03:48
The Malaysian VCD set, which is official**, is very nice, if you can find it. Malay subtitles that cannot be removed, soundtrack and credits in English. A single disk for each story, and the stories are presented as on TV, in separate (rather than conjoined) episodes. A few Malay commercials before each story begins, between episodes and before the end credits of the last episode.

From descriptions I'm reading here at Tintinologist.org, there may be more than one Chinese DVD set. Apparently all are bootlegs, based on packaging imperfections, but the one I have, in the yellow and blue box, patterned after the single-disk French releases (that say "2 adventures integrales" in an upwards vertical string along the left margin) is impressive enough to make you doubt its inauthenticity. (There's a part of me that STILL thinks it may be legit.) It contains 11 disks, not just 10 (the eleventh contains the Belvision original film LAKE OF SHARKS), it's region free and the disks are of reliably playable quality. Optional subtitles in several languages, soundtracks in Japanese, Chinese, French and English. Credits are in French. I won't endorse it or encourage your buying this DVD set, but should you find it along the road, thumbing for a ride, you might consider slowing down the car a little ...

--
[** Note from Admin: The Malaysian set, unless released by Apple Tree Films (of Singapore), is bootleg. See this thread for more discussions on the VCDs.]
jockosjungle
#10 · Posted: 11 Oct 2004 09:09
Are you telling me that this VCD set has TV adverts in between each episode?

I really don't think it is legitimate, the main reason being that it has the Belvision Lake of Sharks with it, totally different company and I don't think such a set would exist like that.

Rik

Page  Page 1 of 2:  1  2  Next » 

Please be sure to familiarize yourself with the Forum Posting Guidelines.

Disclaimer: Tintinologist.org assumes no responsibility for any content you post to the forums/web site. Staff reserve the right to remove any submitted content which they deem in breach of Tintinologist.org's Terms of Use. If you spot anything on Tintinologist.org that you think is inappropriate, please alert the moderation team. Sometimes things slip through, but we will always act swiftly to remove unauthorised material.

Forgot password
Please log in to post. No account? Create one!