Tintin Forums

Tintinologist.org Forums / Tintin collectibles (official merchandise only) /

Wanted: Tintin books with original lettering

Page  Page 1 of 2:  1  2  Next » 

Spideristic
#1 · Posted: 30 Mar 2010 22:48
Hi everyone... I am a Tintin fan from India and been visiting various book stores in my city (Bangalore), trying to seek the Tintin books which has the Hyslop font. All stores now carry the Egmont UK editions with glossy paper and the digital font. Couple of years back some stores still did carry some of the books in Mammoth edition, but I didn't pick them up then; regretting that big time now.

I already read many threads regarding the fonts and re-lettering. Now I want to know where can I find those paperback/hardcover editions with the original fonts?

I read this thread and found that Little, Brown the US publisher also started publishing the books with digital fonts.

Now in Amazon UK I can still find books with the publisher as Mammoth, there is a paperback edition and a hardcover edition.

Can somebody confirm out of these three editions which book will contain the original fonts by Hyslop? I wouldn't mind the glossy paper, as long as the original font is retained in the book.

Book1
http://bit.ly/b2B2Vl
Cigars of the Pharaoh
Price: £4.55

Paperback: 62 pages
Publisher: Mammoth; Graphic novel edition (4 Nov 2002)
Language English
ISBN-10: 1405206152

Book 2
http://bit.ly/bsglgw
Cigars of the Pharaoh
Price: £6.49

Hardcover
Publisher: Mammoth (20 Jun 2003)
Language English
ISBN-10: 1405208031

Book 3 (Is this the facsimile edition? )
http://bit.ly/bfHuzo
Cigars of the Pharaoh
Price: £9.74

Hardcover: 64 pages
Publisher: Egmont Books Ltd (2 Jun 2008)
Language English
ISBN-10: 1405240717
jock123
#2 · Posted: 31 Mar 2010 13:42
Spideristic:
Can somebody confirm out of these three editions which book will contain the original fonts by Hyslop?

I think that you are asking quite a lot to ask someone here to confirm to you whether books which you are buying from Amazon will be a particular version - Amazon would be the best people to ask, surely?
Looking at the Amazon site, the first version of Cigars on your list is said to be by Mammoth, but then also there is a note to say that there are only two in stock, and more will be in soon; the truth is that Mammoth haven't been the publisher of Tintin for many years now, and the chances of them supplying more books any time, let alone soon, is (I would say) nil. My guess is that the page is out-of-date, or at least in need of updating.
My thoughts are similar for the second one.
The third volume is the recent facsimile, and therefore will have the digital type-face.
Why not look on line at second book sellers or eBay, and find the editions you want there?
Spideristic
#3 · Posted: 31 Mar 2010 15:20
jock123:
I think that you are asking quite a lot to ask someone here to confirm to you whether books which you are buying from Amazon will be a particular version - Amazon would be the best people to ask, surely?

You're right.. my apologies. It doesn't seem logical for me to ask that way. Perhaps I should have chosen my words more precisely.

My real intention is if someone who already has the older (Mammoth) editions (with the original font) can look up the ISBN in their book and confirm if it matches with the Amazon numbers.

Since you have already confirmed that Book 3 is facsimile, that leaves the first two books.

I agree that the Amazon listing will likely be old and not updated. But I'm willing to take a chance, i.e. if I am sure about those ISBN numbers matching the books with original fonts. Nonetheless, I will also mail them and see if they offer some answers.

Yes ebay is a viable option, it's just that I would rather buy new copies from Amazon than go with used copies. Of course there are lot of books offered on ebay which are in very good condition, that indeed would be my last resort. Eventually I am hoping to come across some listing which might offer the Mammoth edition in lots (not huge, but at least a few books combined), rather than single books.
Harrock n roll
#4 · Posted: 1 Apr 2010 10:35
I'm afraid I can't help, my copy is a Methuen hardback reprint from 1989, ISBN 0416088309. By rights the 2003 Mammoth edition should have the original lettering, since the new font didn't appear until about 2004/5 (ish) in the Egmont editions, but you should never rely on Amazon for accurate information.

It's not easy searching for something on Amazon sometimes, is it? Just searching for 'Tintin Cigars of the Pharaoh' brings up about 26 books, most of which are now 'unavailable'. And I noticed that you can only find the paperback when you (mis)-type "Pharoah".

Can anyone else here who has a Mammoth edition - with the original lettering - see whether it matches the ISBNs Spideristic gave in the first post?
Spideristic
#5 · Posted: 2 Apr 2010 15:02
Harrock n roll:
By rights the 2003 Mammoth edition should have the original lettering, since the new font didn't appear until about 2004/5 (ish) in the Egmont editions

Oh boy.. I feel really stupid for not thinking of that before. You're right, anything published pre 2004/05 will indeed have the original fonts.

Book 1 was also listed on Amazon.com. I emailed both Amazon.com and Amazon.uk and they confirmed that the book is in stock.

Yeah I noticed the typo as well, it took me awhile to find the exact one which appeared to be in stock.

The Egmont edition is available at my local store for about £5. Now if I order from Amazon.uk they will be charging me about £9 for shipping. Total will be £13 and it comes to same price from Amazon.com. And buying just one book would be fine, but I am planning to start a collection and this is going to cost me dearly. Guess being a obsessive compulsive fan has its price :P.

Well I am also looking at couple of other stores and waiting for a confirmation about these editions. Thanks for helping me out guys.
calculite
#6 · Posted: 17 Dec 2011 02:33
I have a 2001 Red Rackham's Treasure published by Mammoth. It has the Hyslop font, and considering it is a newer Mammoth edition, most Mammoths should have it. Also, what were you saying about Little Brown using the new digital font? The library editions I've read all use the hand-written style. Then again, those editions are dated to 1970s-1980s, so I wouldn't know.
GSC
#7 · Posted: 31 Dec 2011 20:54
What do you mean by "original lettering"? Do you mean that the lettering is differant than the original editions?

---
Moderator note: Yes - see thread "English editions re-lettered?". Please keep this thread on topic.
Brianna
#8 · Posted: 14 Jan 2012 06:30
[Post moved to existing thread.]

Hi all, how's it going?

I've been a Tintin fan for most of my life, but did not have the necessary funds to purchase the books (being eleven years old at the time). Now that I have a job, I waltzed into the bookstore only to find they changed the font! NOOOOOOOOOOO.

I've known about the change for awhile, but I guess a part of me always hoped they would eventually revert it :'(

So, my question is ... which publishers still use the classic Hyslop font? Egmont is obviously out of the question. I think Mammoth does ... what about Little Brown Books?

Many thanks in advance :)
Harrock n roll
#9 · Posted: 14 Jan 2012 08:30
Hi Brianna, welcome to the forums!
Your post has been moved here, since it is a question that comes up quite frequently. Also, the information in this thread may help.
Brianna:
So, my question is ... which publishers still use the classic Hyslop font? Egmont is obviously out of the question. I think Mammoth does ... what about Little Brown Books?

As general rule, anything published before 2004/2005 should have the Hyslop lettering*. However, the dates can make things complicated since the copyright information given at the front of the newly-lettered Egmont editions doesn't mention that it was a new printing. I think some of them say 2002, which is wrong...

Therefore, it's easier to go by publisher. Anything published by Mammoth or Methuen (or Magnet in paperback) will have the original lettering. Egmont did publish the books with the old lettering, but as I've mentioned, the dates have gone awry and make it hard to identify which copies have it. I don't know about Little, Brown books, as I personally haven't seen any copies to verify when, or if, they've changed the lettering. Somebody else may be able to shed light on that.

I hope that helps!

* note I say lettering! It isn't a font, although many people call it that. It was hand lettered by a cartographer called Neil Hyslop employed by Methuen Children's Books back when they were publishing the books. I know that English language is evolving all the time, but 'font' used to mean complete set of type of one size and face, although people use it now to mean 'typeface' - at some point in the future it probably will come to mean any form of lettering...
Brianna
#10 · Posted: 14 Jan 2012 09:35
Thankyou so much, Harrock! Very useful information :D

Indeed, I remember the first time I scrutinised the lettering ... I noticed the tiny differences between the letters and was amazed by the meticulous handwriting.

I think I shall take the advice given in this thread and search for pre-2004 books :D If there's one place I can find answers to obscure Tintin-related questions, this forum is certainly the way to go ... xD

Page  Page 1 of 2:  1  2  Next » 

Please be sure to familiarize yourself with the Forum Posting Guidelines.

Disclaimer: Tintinologist.org assumes no responsibility for any content you post to the forums/web site. Staff reserve the right to remove any submitted content which they deem in breach of Tintinologist.org's Terms of Use. If you spot anything on Tintinologist.org that you think is inappropriate, please alert the moderation team. Sometimes things slip through, but we will always act swiftly to remove unauthorised material.

Forgot password
Please log in to post. No account? Create one!