Tintin Forums

Tintinologist.org Forums / Tintin collectibles (official merchandise only) /

Information needed: vintage Tintin bust

fantapants
#1 · Posted: 28 Mar 2011 15:12
I saw this in the window of an antique shop in New York. The owner claims it was part of an in-store display at a French bookshop. The head is just about life-sized.

https://i.imgur.com/s6eSm.jpg -- Tintin bust

It's in good condition, with a few dings here and there.

Anyone have an idea of provenance or value? I Googled and searched eBay without finding anything.

Thanks for the time.
glendale
#2 · Posted: 29 Mar 2011 06:07
How much?
Why not buy it as it looks good. I have a Poster from a bookshop and love it....
fantapants
#3 · Posted: 29 Mar 2011 19:05
Shop owner quoted USD 400.
The Black Island
#4 · Posted: 29 Mar 2011 19:59
It is genuine, 574 were made. Thats the only knowledge I have.
glendale
#5 · Posted: 30 Mar 2011 05:23
Hi Fantapants, WOW 400 bucks is heavy you need to have some sort of markings or proof of it being a genuine article. actually I wonder if it the same type as the one.Posted: 27 Mar 2006 13:26 - Tintin collectibles / For sale: Tintin bust
fantapants
#6 · Posted: 30 Mar 2011 06:38
The Black Island May I ask how you came to learn about this size of this series? Any insight on the collectible value? Thanks for your time.
The Black Island
#7 · Posted: 30 Mar 2011 11:09
Hi,

It's on the collectibles site Catawiki: https://www.catawiki.com/catalog/figures-statues-figurines-miniatures/characters/444951-tintin?field=SO_1

I can't give a link to the bust, but it's on the left hand side of the link below. Not much information is given, but the site confirms it as genuine.

Moderator Note: While it's possible to make an estimation of an item from pictures, it has to be said that caution should be made in declaring that something is definitely the same as something else. For example, one might be a copy of the other, or there may have been more than one edition of an item, which could affect the value. It's difficult enough to do even if you are comparing a photo to something that you own personally - it's extremely difficult to do from two sets of pictures...
The Cautionary Tintinologist Team
fantapants
#8 · Posted: 30 Mar 2011 19:19
Yes, that's it. Here's the individual item page: https://bit.ly/gxqS7K
Thanks!

Moderator Note: And the previous cautionary note bears fruit: although The Black Island confidently said that this was one of an edition of 574, the page that fantapants has linked to says that it is an edition of 268...

The Tintinologist Team

Please be sure to familiarize yourself with the Forum Posting Guidelines.

Disclaimer: Tintinologist.org assumes no responsibility for any content you post to the forums/web site. Staff reserve the right to remove any submitted content which they deem in breach of Tintinologist.org's Terms of Use. If you spot anything on Tintinologist.org that you think is inappropriate, please alert the moderation team. Sometimes things slip through, but we will always act swiftly to remove unauthorised material.

Forgot password
Please log in to post. No account? Create one!