Tintin Forums

Tintinologist.org Forums / Tintin collectibles (official merchandise only) /

Wanted: Facsimile Edition "The Black Island" (1943) in English

belvisionfan
#1 · Posted: 5 Dec 2020 07:38
Hello -

I don't know if this has been posted before, but I'm trying to find a copy of the 1943 version of The Black Island. Specifically, the English color repress from a few years ago.

I've looked on a few websites where there appear to be a few copies for sale. However, some of them merely have the stock photo with the red band cover (Tintin walking on the rocks) and I'm not sure if is correctly listed. I worry that the image is for the book I WANT to get, but the seller is actually just listing the 1966 version with the other picture. I am noticing this problem mostly on Amazon and Abebooks. One for sale said it was published by Egmont in 2003, another says HarperCollins/ Egmont in 2010.

I am on a limited budget and have found a few affordable copies, but I cannot find a way as of yet to figure out if they are the correct editions. Can someone please help and give me the publication info on the English re-press editions of the 1943 version? I already have a copy of the 1966 version, but I would like to have the original.
Thank you very much!

BelvisionFan
jock123
#2 · Posted: 5 Dec 2020 16:53
Hi - yes, I know what you mean about listings being conflicting and confusing, especially on those sites you mention. Amazon is particularly prone to conflating and aggregating information and reviews from different versions of products, often rendering such things more a hinderance than a help, and certainly very misleading.

For what it's worth, I think the best way to get the book you want is to use the ISBN number as the identifier (never mind the year, title etc - which can become very confused, especially if the seller decides to go by the copyright date, not the publication date. In this case it is ISBN: 9781405240697.
This is a unique identifier, and if the seller uses it, then that is the edition you should get.

It could be worth taking the ISBN to a local bookshop, and asking if they can locate that version for you - they might have access to distributors and warehouses not available to the public; or try the Tintin Shop in Covent Garden - they might be able to check if they have a copy in their stock somewhere?

Please be sure to familiarize yourself with the Forum Posting Guidelines.

Disclaimer: Tintinologist.org assumes no responsibility for any content you post to the forums/web site. Staff reserve the right to remove any submitted content which they deem in breach of Tintinologist.org's Terms of Use. If you spot anything on Tintinologist.org that you think is inappropriate, please alert the moderation team. Sometimes things slip through, but we will always act swiftly to remove unauthorised material.

Forgot password
Please log in to post. No account? Create one!