Tintin Forums

Tintinologist.org Forums / Tintin collectibles (official merchandise only) /

For Sale: "Le Scepter d'Ottokar" (Casterman, 1954)

Victor California
#1 · Posted: 1 Oct 2023 11:59
Hello;
I have Le Scepter d'Ottokar - Les Aventures de Tintin, Hergé, Editions Casterman, published in 1954 for sale.
I don't know how much it's worth as it's in a bit of disrepair.
There are 2 pages with a piece missing and the cover is also not in very good condition. – All other pages are in good condition.

I would like to know how much it is worth in its current condition and if anyone is interested in buying it?
jock123
#2 · Posted: 6 Oct 2023 13:38
Hi! Sadly, in terms of the collector's market, the fact that the book is damaged will seriously affect the price you could expect to get.

Had that edition had something notable in and of itself - if it were a very early edition, or the first time in colour, or had been made in significantly small numbers as to be very scarce - then a collector might have been prepared to overlook damage in favour of being able to get any copy.

However, I can't find anything to indicate that the 1954 edition fits those criteria, so it's unlikely to be particularly sought after.

An unblemished copy of the French 1954 edition might be expected to make about 120€; depending on the severity of the damage, your one may only be worth a fraction of that.

Others may disagree with me, but I wouldn't be expecting to make much on a sale, were it to sell at all.
Victor California
#3 · Posted: 8 Oct 2023 16:02
jock123
Hi,
Do you think that if I ask for €30.00 it would be an acceptable value for sale?
Thank you for your help.
Victor
jock123
#4 · Posted: 8 Oct 2023 17:25
Victor California:
Do you think that if I ask for €30.00 it would be an acceptable value for sale?

Without having seen the extent of the damage, I'm afraid I can't even begin to estimate.
Given that the cover isn't in good condition (and collectors might want to display their pieces), and there are bits missing from pages, I might have thought that 30€ was perhaps optimistic, but it's entirely down to the the market - if someone wants to pay that figure or more, then that's what you will get... Why not try it and see? :-)
Victor California
#5 · Posted: 8 Oct 2023 20:02
jock123
Thanks I will Try

Please be sure to familiarize yourself with the Forum Posting Guidelines.

Disclaimer: Tintinologist.org assumes no responsibility for any content you post to the forums/web site. Staff reserve the right to remove any submitted content which they deem in breach of Tintinologist.org's Terms of Use. If you spot anything on Tintinologist.org that you think is inappropriate, please alert the moderation team. Sometimes things slip through, but we will always act swiftly to remove unauthorised material.

Forgot password
Please log in to post. No account? Create one!