Tintin Forums

Tintinologist.org Forums / Tintin collectibles (official merchandise only) /

General Discussion: The Making of Tintin Books (Vols 1-4)

Page  Page 1 of 2:  1  2  Next » 

KorovaMilkBar
#1 · Posted: 8 Mar 2005 22:04
Hi there, newbie here.
At 29 I am going back to my Tintin roots. Like most of you, I am looking to consolidate my collection. Aside from the standard titles, I am extremely interested in getting the four Making of Tintin books. However, they are hard to find. Any idea whether they will ever be re-issued?

I have been offered for sale Making of Unicorn and Making of Incas in pretty mint condition for about $40US each (plus postage to Australia). Should I snap them up at these prices?
Ans although Making of Cigars and Moon Mission are newer, they seem harder to get - is that true?

The irony is that these "rare" books are all just sitting in my local public library - i offered to buy them, but "no cigar', as it were. ;-)

Any general intelligence on these books would be greatly appreciated.

Sorry if this is already covered in another thread...

Cheers!
Richard
UK Correspondent
#2 · Posted: 8 Mar 2005 22:41
Welcome to the forum !

Regarding a reprint for the Making of Tintin's, I can't imagine there being one anytime soon, although Egmont may surprise us at some point.

$40 each, in my view, is a good price - works out at about £20 GBP, which is good considering the RRPs were around £12-14 originally. They are incredibly hard to get hold of now, and have some fascinating information in.

Cigars/Lotus seems to be the hardest one to find, although I did happen to see Mission to the Moon in a local bookshop a few months ago !

I think there were at least two printings, the original editions in the 1980s, and then later ones with glossy pages in the mid-1990s - my copy of Inca is glossy, and the Moon one in the bookshop was as well.

You could try eBay, there's occasionally one of them for sale. Don't try the Amazon Marketplace copies, though - £173 for Inca ?! Criminal.

Hope that's been of some help !
edcharlesadams
Trivia Challenge Score Keeper
#3 · Posted: 8 Mar 2005 22:50
I'd agree with Richard that $40 is a very good offer for these, and strongly urge you to get them at this price!

Ed
Richard
UK Correspondent
#4 · Posted: 8 Mar 2005 23:02
Something I've been wondering about for a while, regarding the postscript sections in the Making of Tintin's, written by Benoît Peeters - where did they first appear ?

I find it odd that Mr Peeters, an eminent French BD historian, would have written these just for English books.

The other thing that I find odd is that many of the passages seem to be repeated pretty much verbatim in Hergé, Fils de Tintin, which was published a considerable while after the Making of Tintin's.

Did the texts appear in the Rombaldi series at all, translated for the Making of's, and were then recycled again for the Fils de Tintin book ?
edcharlesadams
Trivia Challenge Score Keeper
#5 · Posted: 8 Mar 2005 23:10
Interesting questions, I remember pondering this same thing a while ago.
Yes, from memory the Rombaldi books do cover much the same ground as the Making of Tintin boos, and I think they use some of the same images too.
I can't confirm this at the moment but I do recall them being very similar.
As for Hergé: Fils de Tintin, I must admit this didn't occur to me, but I did tend to skip over passages that were pretty well-trodden anyway.

Ed
OJG
#6 · Posted: 9 Mar 2005 12:58
I've read all 4 of the Making of series, albeit a long time ago.
Really, I don't think they have much in them that Tintin and the World of Hergé or Tintin: The Complete Companion don't, but I guess you might want them for their collectability?
jockosjungle
#7 · Posted: 9 Mar 2005 14:35
A quick question: I bought an Egmont copy of Destination Moon that was published in 2002! On the back cover along with the pictures was some text...
Other Tintin Adventures to Collect:
Lake of Sharks
3-in-1
The Making of Tintin: Four Volumes

Was there some plan to republish them? This text does not appear on earlier editions.

Rik
Harrock n roll
#8 · Posted: 1 Jul 2005 16:42
Richard regarding the postscript sections in the Making of Tintin's, written by Benoît Peeters - where did they first appear ? I find it odd that Mr Peeters, an eminent French BD historian, would have written these just for an English books.

The “Making of” books were originally released in Denmark by Carlsen, If;

’Enhjørningens’’ hemmelighed/Rackham den Rødes skat - 1982 (Methuen ‘83)
De syv krystalkugler/Soltemplet - 1984 (Methuen ‘85)
Månen Tur-Retur - 1986 (Methuen ‘89)
Faraos Cigarar/Den Blå Lotus - 1994 (Methuen ‘95)

The copyright dates given for Benoît Peeters’ postscipts are the same as the Danish publishing dates so I'm assuming that these sections were written especially for the Danish books.

They’ve never been available in French incidentally, although Casterman have published some double volumes without the extra sections.
Richard
UK Correspondent
#9 · Posted: 1 Jul 2005 22:50
Thanks for that, Chris, I was a bit curious where they'd come from ! I suppose that explains why M. Peeters felt he could reuse the text for his Fils de Tintin book, since I guess most French readers wouldn't have come across these books before.

Odd that he wrote these sections and it took around twenty years before they were published in their original language !
Chandan69
#10 · Posted: 21 May 2008 13:03
I have found an unknown name of a Tintin book: Tintin in the World of Inca.
I know there are only 24 books of Tintin.
How can be there more?

Page  Page 1 of 2:  1  2  Next » 

Please be sure to familiarize yourself with the Forum Posting Guidelines.

Disclaimer: Tintinologist.org assumes no responsibility for any content you post to the forums/web site. Staff reserve the right to remove any submitted content which they deem in breach of Tintinologist.org's Terms of Use. If you spot anything on Tintinologist.org that you think is inappropriate, please alert the moderation team. Sometimes things slip through, but we will always act swiftly to remove unauthorised material.

Forgot password
Please log in to post. No account? Create one!