Tintin Forums

Tintinologist.org Forums / Other works by Hergé /

Hergé: Early murals uncovered in Belgium!

jock123
#1 · Posted: 25 Oct 2007 17:27
BBC World News is covering the discovery of some early murals by a fifteen year-old Hergé at the Institut Saint-Boniface in Brussels, where he went to school in the 1920s - quite a find!

[Link replaced 08/05/2022 - original story no longer available - this later story about the deteriorating condition of the murals has pictures.]
prairiegrass
#2 · Posted: 14 Sep 2015 01:35
9 May 2022 19:51 - Merged topic:
Institut Saint-Boniface Parnasse mural?

Hi all,
I've been reading about various sites to visit in Brussels associated with Hergé's life. Recently I read about a "rediscovered mural" at Institut Saint-Boniface Parnasse in Ixelles.
Does anyone know if this is something that can be seen?
It's a school so I surely don't want to just go wandering around.
Thanks,
August
mct16
#3 · Posted: 14 Sep 2015 20:04
Hergé was a pupil at this school and a member of its Scout troop.

According to an article in this Scoutwiki (in French) there are mural paintings of knights, Indians and scouts; in 2007 it was established that this was the work of Hergé.
If you go to the bottom of the article, you can see a photo of the mural.

The mural is in a corridor next to the scout troops' offices and Hergé would have made it when he was about 15.

If it is inside the school then I doubt if tourists will be allowed in to see it but you might go and ask if they can provide photos of the mural. No harm in trying.
prairiegrass
#4 · Posted: 15 Sep 2015 11:43
mct16
Excellent link - thank you! My French is terrible so I find it hard to find some of these sites.
I'm reaching out to the school via email to see what they say.
As you mentioned, it's worth a shot.
I'll be there in October on business, so have a small fortunate window.
Fingers crossed!
prairiegrass
#5 · Posted: 5 Nov 2015 09:34
Happy to report that I was lucky enough to visit the school and see the murals!
Wow! Really amazing - but also a shame that there isn't enough money to preserve and honor them properly...
Truly splendid and such a magical little room they are in.
Such amazing work from Hergé. Lucky it's still around!
prairiegrass
#6 · Posted: 5 Nov 2015 12:23
Such amazing work from Herge. Lucky it's still around!
mct16
#7 · Posted: 8 Nov 2015 23:05
Very nice. You were lucky to be let in.
If it is too much for the school to maintain, then maybe the Musée Hergé could take it down and preserve it?

Please be sure to familiarize yourself with the Forum Posting Guidelines.

Disclaimer: Tintinologist.org assumes no responsibility for any content you post to the forums/web site. Staff reserve the right to remove any submitted content which they deem in breach of Tintinologist.org's Terms of Use. If you spot anything on Tintinologist.org that you think is inappropriate, please alert the moderation team. Sometimes things slip through, but we will always act swiftly to remove unauthorised material.

Forgot password
Please log in to post. No account? Create one!