Tintin Forums

Tintinologist.org Forums / The Members Lounge /

The Lord of the Rings, by JRR Tolkien

Page  Page 10 of 13:  « Previous  1  ...  9  10  11  12  13  Next » 

IvanIvanovitch
#91 · Posted: 6 May 2008 05:10
Oh yes, I am a huge LOTR fan. I could go on forever about how great it is, but it's already been said and I'd just sound silly. Instead I add my identity to that breed of Tintinologist/LOTR fan. Now if only I could find someone who also likes Homer, I think I'd be all set.
Suffice it to say that Tolkien and Tintin are just about on par with one another, Tintin barely coming out on top.
cigars of the beeper
#92 · Posted: 6 May 2008 20:36
Well, Triskeliae, I didn't mind their adaptations of the story at all, not even The Two Towers, but what does bug me are little details which are not in the way I imagined them. By the way, there are three silmarils, and each of the three elven-rings has a jewel on it. Are these the silmarils on them?
Triskeliae
#93 · Posted: 7 May 2008 16:17
I think one Silmaril became a star. And there are 2 Palantiri, the round seeing crystals accounted for: Saruman's and Denethor's. We should count 3 because the messages those 2 characters received came from Mordor, so the dark lord must had one too to send the " visions" to the other 2.
IvanIvanovitch wrote:
if only I could find someone who also likes Homer

Sorry about my ignorance, but which Homer? The writer or the animated character?
cigars of the beeper
#94 · Posted: 7 May 2008 17:58
The Palantiri weren't silmarils, I think. There were seven palantiri, as Gandalf tells Pippin in the chapter, The Palantir, in The Two Towers. Apparently the palantiri were also made by Feanor,but were not the same thing. I wonder why Morgoth didn't steal those.
--
To IvanIvanovitch, I say: Welcome. It's nice to have another TintinTolkienologist among us. I haven't tried reading The Iliad or The Odyssey yet, but if I do, I'll let you know if I like them.
Dupondt
#95 · Posted: 7 May 2008 21:30
Homer is great, I'm reading the Odyssey for my Classics course in school, it's getting a bit off topic but yeah, Homer's really worth reading..
Triskeliae
#96 · Posted: 7 May 2008 23:47
My favorite is The Odyssey
cigars of the beeper
#97 · Posted: 9 May 2008 00:26
Maybe we should make a thread about homer's work, or maybe all of the old classical stuff. Get this: One of my friends read The Hobbit in seven hours, and The Two Towers and The Return of the King in three days. I wonder if that's breaking some record?
Triskeliae
#98 · Posted: 9 May 2008 17:20
I don't know, but that is enough to know your friend is a true " Ringer" (a LOTR fan). I bought a documentary DVD called "Ringers: Lord of the Fans". Great stuff!
cigars of the beeper
#99 · Posted: 10 May 2008 01:18
Yeah, I waw something about that. What is "Ringers", exactly?
IvanIvanovitch
#100 · Posted: 12 May 2008 05:15
Triskeliae wrote:
Sorry about my ignorance, but which Homer? The writer or the animated character?

Sorry about the delayed feedback. Homer the writer. I have a thing for epics.
And yeah! Dupondt! The Odyssey was great but is so much more enjoyable in relation to the Iliad. Odysseus is the link between the two and officially one of my heroes (besides Hector, Gandalf, Sam, Tintin, etc).

Page  Page 10 of 13:  « Previous  1  ...  9  10  11  12  13  Next » 

Please be sure to familiarize yourself with the Forum Posting Guidelines.

Disclaimer: Tintinologist.org assumes no responsibility for any content you post to the forums/web site. Staff reserve the right to remove any submitted content which they deem in breach of Tintinologist.org's Terms of Use. If you spot anything on Tintinologist.org that you think is inappropriate, please alert the moderation team. Sometimes things slip through, but we will always act swiftly to remove unauthorised material.

Forgot password
Please log in to post. No account? Create one!