Tintin Forums

Tintinologist.org Forums / The Members Lounge /

Comic strip murals in Brussels

JasonD
#1 · Posted: 5 Nov 2004 13:08
I expect you will have seen these already but there is a collection of photos (none of them of TinTin I am afraid) at:
http://www.pbase.com/wdkg/comics

I noted that there was an existing thread on the Tintin trail but thought that this didn't fit in with that.

There are some great photos (millions!) on pbase. There are a few pages on Tintin.

Jason

---
[Note from Admin: Fixed broken URL caused by a carriage return. Please refer to the user guide for more information on using bbcodes.]
Martine
#2 · Posted: 5 Nov 2004 16:37
Beautiful pictures! Thanks for the link.
Tintinrulz
#3 · Posted: 6 Nov 2004 07:24
I recognise Billy the Cat and the one with the family stacked on each other (can't remember the name but there was a comic of them on an adventure in Australia). I found out about them several months after discovering Tintin at 8. I think the book was called the Diamond Boomerang. At the time I thought it was one of Herge's earlier works!
Richard
UK Correspondent
#4 · Posted: 6 Nov 2004 20:15
The stacked characters are Suske and Wiske, Bob and Bobette, Willy and Wanda or Spike and Suzy, depending on what translation you use. Willy Vandersteen created them, and they've had hundreds (I think ?) of adventures. The most recent English translations use the names Spike and Suzy, Aunt Sidonia, Ambrose and Jethro.
jock123
#5 · Posted: 7 Nov 2004 09:43
A nice gallery of pictures! I was surprised that there was a character there called Billy the Cat, because I expected the leather-clad do-gooder of the British Beano comic, not a yellow moggy!

I've tried to find a link for what I mean, but haven't found one, unfortunately (Update: I have now!), but basically the Billy I know is a young boy acrobat, who fought crime on the streets of a non-descript English Midlands new-town, while wearing a black leather catsuit, a whiskered helmet and a utility back-pack.\
His main weapon was a rope with a clawed paw on the end, and he was assisted by his cousin Katie.
He appeared in the late sixties/ early seventies, and apparently re-appeared after many years abscence in 2003.

Anyway, this is not the character found in the mural, and begs the question of why two writer should choose the same name, when there are so many possibilities available...

Oh, and they are both completely different from Korky the Cat in The Dandy...!

Please be sure to familiarize yourself with the Forum Posting Guidelines.

Disclaimer: Tintinologist.org assumes no responsibility for any content you post to the forums/web site. Staff reserve the right to remove any submitted content which they deem in breach of Tintinologist.org's Terms of Use. If you spot anything on Tintinologist.org that you think is inappropriate, please alert the moderation team. Sometimes things slip through, but we will always act swiftly to remove unauthorised material.

Forgot password
Please log in to post. No account? Create one!