Tintin Forums

Tintinologist.org Forums / The Members Lounge /

Australian High-school Foreign Language Lessons?

tintinsgf
#1 · Posted: 18 Apr 2012 16:52
Hi there, I've been bugged by these questions for quite a while since I read a book from an Australian blogger, whom happened to be very proficient in Indonesian (I mean, he is even very good at Indonesian slang! XD). In his book which he wrote, he said that at middle school and high school, there is a foreign language lesson, which is a compulsory study (in Richard Miles', the blogger, high school, the students can choose which language they'd like to learn, which in this case, are German and Indonesian).

And now, here are my questions to all Aussie Tintinologist here whom have completed (and whom are still in middle/high school).

1. Is Indonesian lesson is available in your middle/high school?
2. Are there other foreign language lessons available in your school, aside from Indonesian?
2. Do you pick one of the foreign language lesson (like in Richard's high school), or do the lesson is chosen for you by the school (I mean by teachers, board of curriculum or other decision maker in school).
3. If you choose Indonesian, what is your reason of it? And if you not, what is also the reason of it?
4. If you choose Indonesian, what do you think of this language?
5. The last but not the least, why, in your opinion, do schools in Australia provide Indonesian lesson to its students?

Thank you very much for those who have answered these questions, you have filled my curiosities with answers. Anyway, besides answering these questions, I am also open for some discussions here. Don't worry, I'll wait patiently for responds :).
rodney
#2 · Posted: 19 Apr 2012 01:46
Hey mate, bearing in mind i finished high school ten years ago, my answers may be redundant but here goes:

1. Is Indonesian lesson is available in your middle/high school? yes
2. Are there other foreign language lessons available in your school, aside from Indonesian? Yes, French, German and Japanese
2. Do you pick one of the foreign language lesson (like in Richard's high school), or do the lesson is chosen for you by the school (I mean by teachers, board of curriculum or other decision maker in school). Initially you did a small sample of each language and then you got to choose which one you'd most like to study
3. If you choose Indonesian, what is your reason of it? And if you not, what is also the reason of it? Believe it or not, I did French as I wanted to read Tintin in another language. I also wanted to travel to France/Belgium for Asterix/Tintin and hence wanted to be able to speak French!
4. If you choose Indonesian, what do you think of this language?
5. The last but not the least, why, in your opinion, do schools in Australia provide Indonesian lesson to its students?
I think for two reasons, firstly it's close proximity to Australia, it's one of the closest foreign countries to Australia which speaks a foreign language. Secondly, (I'm only quoting a person I know who has learnt the language) it's meant to be quite an easy language to learn. It's not as difficult as Japanese or even English which has many different meanings for a single word

Please be sure to familiarize yourself with the Forum Posting Guidelines.

Disclaimer: Tintinologist.org assumes no responsibility for any content you post to the forums/web site. Staff reserve the right to remove any submitted content which they deem in breach of Tintinologist.org's Terms of Use. If you spot anything on Tintinologist.org that you think is inappropriate, please alert the moderation team. Sometimes things slip through, but we will always act swiftly to remove unauthorised material.

Forgot password
Please log in to post. No account? Create one!