Tintin Forums

Tintinologist.org Forums / Tintinologist.org /

Help: quoting messages

Page  Page 1 of 4:  1  2  3  4  Next » 

admin
Administrator
#1 · Posted: 13 Sep 2004 01:55
From the thread about Herge in Tintin cartoon series, finlay asked:
hey, how are you supposed to quote without manually copying and pasting? Whenever I press "quote" it comes up with "[i][function]"...[/i]

Apologies to users whose browsers (e.g. Safari) do not support the 'Quote' function on this forum. I'll try to fix the problem.

Users of Netscape 4+/Mozilla/Firebird/Firefox/MSIE 5+ (with JavaScript support enabled) should be able to quote messages:

1) highlight/select the block of text you wish to quote

2) press the 'Quote' link. The quoted text should appear between the [i][/i] tags in the reply box.

---
UPDATE: The 'quote' function should now work in Safari (with JavaScript support enabled). Thanks to Chris (Harrock n roll) for helping to test the modified code. :-)
jock123
#2 · Posted: 13 Sep 2004 22:44
It’s working in Safari for me - thanks, ma’am!
Jyrki21
#3 · Posted: 14 Sep 2004 04:29
It’s working in Safari for me - thanks, ma’am!

Me too!
admin
Administrator
#4 · Posted: 14 Sep 2004 04:32
You are welcome. :) Did the 'Quote' function work in Safari before yesterday's code change?
Jyrki21
#5 · Posted: 14 Sep 2004 04:51
Not for me, it didn't until the change.

Us poor Mac users...
admin
Administrator
#6 · Posted: 14 Sep 2004 05:33
Jyrki21 wrote: Not for me, it didn't until the change.

And you didn't even complain? Don't suffer in silence! Do let me know if you encounter problems using this site/this message board, and I'll do my best to fix the problems. :)
jock123
#7 · Posted: 14 Sep 2004 07:14
admin said (and I quote)
And you didn't even complain? Don't suffer in silence!

I wasn’t aware that there was such a function before yesterday, so I didn’t know what I was missing…
Jyrki21
#8 · Posted: 14 Sep 2004 18:05
And you didn't even complain? Don't suffer in silence! Do let me know if you encounter problems using this site/this message board, and I'll do my best to fix the problems. :)

Ah, well, pressing command-C to copy and command-V to paste wasn't too much of a chore either... but thanks!
finlay
#9 · Posted: 17 Sep 2004 16:19
My problem was mainly knowing how to quote; it's not very intuitive to have to select it.

While I much prefer using Safari, and do use it a lot, I am normally forced to use IE, because most of the week I use the library for net access.

It's certainly good that you put in a dialog box that warns you to select the text first...
finlay
#10 · Posted: 22 May 2005 17:09
The quote function is no longer working.

I selected text, pressed "quote" and it told me "Please select some text".

Why can't you just use normal quote functions where you simply press it and it copies the whole thing to your text area? That would be a whole lot simpler, and if you don't want to quote a bit you can just delete it.

ps i'm using safari; that's usual these days. Never mind what i said months ago in that last post.

Page  Page 1 of 4:  1  2  3  4  Next » 

Please be sure to familiarize yourself with the Forum Posting Guidelines.

Disclaimer: Tintinologist.org assumes no responsibility for any content you post to the forums/web site. Staff reserve the right to remove any submitted content which they deem in breach of Tintinologist.org's Terms of Use. If you spot anything on Tintinologist.org that you think is inappropriate, please alert the moderation team. Sometimes things slip through, but we will always act swiftly to remove unauthorised material.

Forgot password
Please log in to post. No account? Create one!