Tintin Forums

Tintinologist.org Forums / Tintinologist.org /

[Resolved] Help: special characters disappearing in posts

jock123
#1 · Posted: 19 Sep 2004 23:22
I've had problems with accented letters and characters like quotation marks vanishing from posts on a couple of occasions. I had thought it was something I was doing, and so I just went back and fixed it.

Now Jyrki21 seems to be having the same problem - is there a problem?
admin
Administrator
#2 · Posted: 25 Sep 2004 01:17
Apologies for my tardy reply, jock! I am still investigating the problem.
jock123
#3 · Posted: 25 Sep 2004 17:30
No trouble at all. You have had other things on your mind, I am sure, what with the server problems.

I notice that, ironically, that the apostrophe has vanished from the message. I am writing this one without possessives or contractions.
admin
Administrator
#4 · Posted: 17 Oct 2004 03:42
To jock123 and other users experiencing the same problem:
please check your browser's character encoding is set to Unicode UTF-8. The Unicode UTF-8 encoding allows most browsers to correctly display special characters inserted.

Harrock n roll has picked up on the fact that Simon uses real, proper quotation marks (when most others use tick/hash marks). When the browser uses an encoding that is not UTF-8, true quotation marks (and many special characters) may appear as Roman alphabet gibberish/or not appear at all; e.g. using Western ISO-8559-1, real quotation marks may appear as “.

To jock123:
if adjusting your browser encoding fixes the problem, there is no need to respond to my recent email request for a list of characters not showing up properly for you.

Please be sure to familiarize yourself with the Forum Posting Guidelines.

Disclaimer: Tintinologist.org assumes no responsibility for any content you post to the forums/web site. Staff reserve the right to remove any submitted content which they deem in breach of Tintinologist.org's Terms of Use. If you spot anything on Tintinologist.org that you think is inappropriate, please alert the moderation team. Sometimes things slip through, but we will always act swiftly to remove unauthorised material.

Forgot password
Please log in to post. No account? Create one!