Tintin Forums

Tintinologist.org Forums / Tintinologist.org /

[Answered] Rules Query: is reviving old threads truly frowned upon?

rose_of_pollux
#1 · Posted: 19 Jan 2012 00:51
Dear mods, I have a dilemma... I've been wanting to reply to a post in a recent thread, but the reply is somewhat off-topic and belongs on an older thread... a much, much, much older thread (price I pay for lurking for three years before joining...). The rules frown upon off-topic posts, creating duplicate threads, and reviving very old threads, so I'm here scratching my head, trying to figure out how best to go about this...

Reviving the old thread seems to be the "tidiest" way to go, but just how frowned upon is thread revival?
Balthazar
#2 · Posted: 19 Jan 2012 01:36
rose_of_pollux:
Reviving the old thread seems to be the "tidiest" way to go, but just how frowned upon is thread revival?

I'm relatively new to being a moderator, so older hands Jock and Harrock may have a different angle on this question, but I don't think reviving an old thread is necessarily frowned upon if you've got something new to say on an old topic, ie: a new opinion, or some fresh information to expand everyone''s knowledge. Indeed, finding an existing thread to add to is generally better than starting a new thread on a topic that already exists or, as you say, leading a more current thread off topic.

I think it's only some particular ways of reviving an old thread that are a bit frowned upon, such as:

a) reviving an old thread simply to add a brief "Yeah, I agree" type of post (often fine in a live forum conversation, but a bit pointless when a conversation's been dead for months or years);

b) reviving a thread in order to give an identical answer to one that was given pretty comprehensively at the time, but which you haven't spotted because you couldn't be bothered to read right through an old thread before posting;

c) reviving your own controversial old thread in order to restart a pointless argument in a picking a scab sort of way, rather than letting it lie!

These are some examples that spring to mind; there may be others!

But assuming that these don't apply to the thread you want to revive and the post you wish to add to it, you should probably go for it. (I promise we won't bite your head off in any case!) In fact, it can sometimes be nice to see interesting old threads reappearing, especially if there's something interesting to be added, or more to be got out of the topic.
rose_of_pollux
#3 · Posted: 19 Jan 2012 02:28
Thanks, Balthazar! I'll go for it and hope for the best!
marsbar
#4 · Posted: 19 Jan 2012 08:39
*sharpening my teeth here* ;-p
Balthazar
#5 · Posted: 19 Jan 2012 12:53
marsbar:
*sharpening my teeth here* ;-p

Ah yes, I wouldn't want to speak for Head-Biter-in-Chief Marsbar either! ;)

But I think you've got away with it. The thread you've revived does seem to be the best place for your song-thread-inspired thoughts about Haddock and Tintin's possibly paternalistic relationship, and it's a topic which probably has some more mileage in it. :)

This topic is closed.