Tintin Forums

Tintinologist.org Forums / Tintin news and events /

Shark Sub inspired by Red Rackham's Treasure

Tintin Quiz
#1 · Posted: 16 Dec 2005 00:20
National Geographic News has a story on the shark-shaped submarine created by Fabien Cousteau, grandson of the late, great Jacques Cousteau.
“I was 7 when I first saw the cartoon book, first read [Red Rackham’s Treasure],” Cousteau, now 38, said. “It stuck in my mind as a great idea. We went one step further; I didn’t want something rigid that didn’t move.”
http://news.nationalgeographic.com/news/2005/12/1202_051202_sharks_sub .html
midnightblueowl
#2 · Posted: 22 Jan 2006 13:30
Hi
At the Tintin in sea exhibition in Greenwhich, they had a full size replica of Calculus' shark submarine,but it wasn't like this one
jock123
#3 · Posted: 22 Jan 2006 17:59
You will find a thread about this submarine here.
Lurker
#4 · Posted: 30 Mar 2012 12:49
New York Times is mentioning Auguste Piccard and Professor Cuthbert Calculus in an article The Challenger's Deep-Sea Brethren.

Deepsea Challenger honestly looks a bit like a certain shark-shaped submarine...
jock123
#5 · Posted: 18 Dec 2014 08:53
I can't say for certain that this is inspired in any way by the shark sub, but here's an article about the development of an unmanned mechanical drone by the American Navy which may be of interest.

Robot battle sharks - what could possibly go wrong? ;-)

Please be sure to familiarize yourself with the Forum Posting Guidelines.

Disclaimer: Tintinologist.org assumes no responsibility for any content you post to the forums/web site. Staff reserve the right to remove any submitted content which they deem in breach of Tintinologist.org's Terms of Use. If you spot anything on Tintinologist.org that you think is inappropriate, please alert the moderation team. Sometimes things slip through, but we will always act swiftly to remove unauthorised material.

Forgot password
Please log in to post. No account? Create one!