Tintin Forums

Tintinologist.org Forums / Tintin news and events /

Tintin Characters Series by Michael Farr - May 2007

Page  Page 1 of 3:  1  2  3  Next » 

edcharlesadams
Trivia Challenge Score Keeper
#1 · Posted: 12 Nov 2006 20:35
Some websites have started to list these new releases for May 2007, all credited to "Michael Farr and Herge":

Tintin - amazon.co.uk; tesco.com.
Snowy - amazon.co.uk; tesco.com.
Haddock - tesco.com.
Thomson and Thompson - amazon.co.uk; tesco.com.
Madame Castafiore - tesco.com.

The spiel for Tintin on tesco.com reads: "A set of six individual books, dedicated to our favourite characters. These books are intended for fans of Tintin - young or old, boy or girl, hopeful reporters or potential professors."
The other books have: "Packed with useful information, this work is for fans of Tintin - young or old, boy or girl, hopeful reporters or potential professors."

As of today (November 12th) there is no mention of the sixth book, but my money's on it being about Calculus.

I wonder if this is the same as Farr's Tintin et Compagnie project first announced here? If so, the number of characters studied seems to have been cut by half.

Ed
jockosjungle
#2 · Posted: 12 Nov 2006 20:37
Seems to be the book he was plugging at the Tintin Festival! His talk was very informative and probably the best of the day (saying that it was the only one I actually understood as it was in English) so looking forward to the book

R
edcharlesadams
#3 · Posted: 24 Nov 2006 21:20
A few more details: the books are hardbacks, with 48 pages, and will measure 8.3 inches square - somewhat smaller than the regular Tintin books themselves.

Ed
jockosjungle
#4 · Posted: 25 Nov 2006 21:12
You think there'll be a boxset?

R
edcharlesadams
#5 · Posted: 25 Nov 2006 23:08
Well all the books are listed separately at the moment, so I wouldn't say so in the near future.

I had thought it was more likely that a project of this kind would be more suited to just one book on all of the principal characters, rather than dividing it into several books released together. I hope it hasn't turned into just a cash-spinner for Egmont, as apart from the higher cost, it would be a shame to have set of six rather thin products for the English-speaking fans during Hergé's centenary year.

Nonetheless I have faith in Farr's scholarship and am sure he'll produce something worth the cost of six books!

Ed
jockosjungle
#6 · Posted: 26 Nov 2006 20:02
Well when Michael Farr presented his book at the Tintin Festival he talked of a book, not books! I guess they decided this would make more cash split into six!

R
thmthm
#7 · Posted: 7 Dec 2006 01:18
Was it my imagination or did I see a book like this featuring Müller?

It was on eBay a month or so ago - red with a sketch of muller on the right of the cover...I believe from the Black Gold book

And don't we already have books like this? Haddock illustré, Tournesol illustré..?
edcharlesadams
#8 · Posted: 17 Jan 2007 22:07
As predicted, amazon.co.uk is now listing Calculus as the sixth book in the series.

Ed
edcharlesadams
#9 · Posted: 27 Jan 2007 22:14
The cover art is now available for five of the books.

I particularly like Hergé's sketch versions of each character. But I hope they correct the description of Castafiore as "the Milanaise Nightingale": "Milanaise" being the French form of the adjective, when the English versions of the books use the Italian "Milanese".

thmthm
was it my imagination or did I see a book like this featuring Müller?
It was on ebay a month or so ago - red with a sketch of Müller on the right of the cover...I believe from the [i]Black Gold
book.[/i]

That's very interesting - from your description it sounds a lot like the cover art that has just been released. I've searched eBay and a Google cache but there doesn't seem to be any trace of that auction. Do you remember if the cover looked anything like these images?

I note that the brief from Moulinsart is that the previously-announced book Tintin and Co was supposed to contain "twelve characters, from Tintin to Müller". Could it be that another six small books are due later in the year, of which one (possibly a proof version) has already been printed and found its way onto eBay?

Ed
Richard
UK Correspondent
#10 · Posted: 28 Jan 2007 00:30
I've seen these before! The partwork publishers France Loisirs did a series last year, or the year before. It was made up of twelve double-volume hardback books, each with stories sort-of-themed around a certain character (ie. Lotus & Tibet, for Chang) with an accompanying book about that character. The cover art is near identical to those in your post, Ed.

I don't know what the content of these extra books was like - I've only got one of the double-volumes - but the characters featured in the France Loisirs series are:

1. Alcazar
2. Tintin
3. The Thompsons
4. Haddock
5. Müller
6. Abdullah
7. Castafiore
8. Jolyon Wagg
9. Rastapopoulos
10. Calculus
11. Snowy
12. Chang

Page  Page 1 of 3:  1  2  3  Next » 

Please be sure to familiarize yourself with the Forum Posting Guidelines.

Disclaimer: Tintinologist.org assumes no responsibility for any content you post to the forums/web site. Staff reserve the right to remove any submitted content which they deem in breach of Tintinologist.org's Terms of Use. If you spot anything on Tintinologist.org that you think is inappropriate, please alert the moderation team. Sometimes things slip through, but we will always act swiftly to remove unauthorised material.

Forgot password
Please log in to post. No account? Create one!