Tintin Forums

Tintinologist.org Forums / Tintin news and events /

Faust - London Coliseum September.

Ranko
#1 · Posted: 2 Sep 2010 13:10
Of all the music inspired by the ancient tale of the old philosopher who sells his soul for a second lease of life, Gounod's Goethe-based opera is at once the most grandly spectacular and the most endearingly romantic. Updating the story's classic setting to a more contemporary world at war, this new co-production with New York's Metropolitan Opera marks the UK opera debut of the Tony award-winning director Des McAnuff

Hi all,

Just saw this advertised on the Underground today. 18th September until 16th October 2010.

Now I'm no lover of opera but surely it's worth it just to go and hear 'The Jewel Song'? :-)
jock123
#2 · Posted: 2 Sep 2010 13:29
Ranko:
Just saw this advertised on the Underground today.

I saw an ad on a train last night, coming back into London, and it took me a moment or two to realize that the strangely attired elfin-faced person and the large “ENO” logo weren’t promoting a Brian Eno concert, but were for The English National Orchestra and Faust…

I think there are only nine performances between those two dates, so anyone who wants to go will have to select their dates carefully.

Ranko:
surely it's worth it just to go and hear 'The Jewel Song'? :-)

Having looked at the prices, I might just wait for a CD… “Cheap” seats start at £23…
Ranko
#3 · Posted: 2 Sep 2010 13:36
jock123:
I saw an ad on a train last night, coming back into London, and it took me a moment or two to realize that the strangely attired elfin-faced person and the large “ENO” logo weren’t promoting a Brian Eno concert, but were for The English National Orchestra and Faust…

Ha ha ha. As did I initially. Ooo, Brian Eno doing Faust!

£23 is a bit steep for a 'cheap' seat. Although... Actually, no. I can't justify it. I think I'll wait for a CD also.
tuhatkauno
#4 · Posted: 2 Sep 2010 15:29
Hi fellows

Faust was played in the Finnish National Opera last winter. I was about to go to watch it, but my calendar was fully booked. Actually I do like certain operas very much but Faust is not my favourite one. Maybe I'll learn to like it by listening it couple of times.

I think a real Tintin fan has to see or listen Faust at least once in a life time. For the moment I'm listening to it. I have Spotify. :)
Harrock n roll
#5 · Posted: 3 Sep 2010 13:34
Ranko:
£23 is a bit steep for a 'cheap' seat

Well I'm only going if Ramon Zarate, Ragdalam and Bruno the Master Magician are also performing ;-)
jock123
#6 · Posted: 3 Sep 2010 22:19
Harrock n roll:
Well I'm only going if Ramon Zarate, Ragdalam and Bruno the Master Magician are also performing ;-)

I bet you still want a second feature, a cartoon and a news-reel when you go to the pictures too…

I did forget to mention that they do offer considerable concessions for 18-30 year olds and full-time students, if you join their Access All Arias scheme, so check their web-site if you want to see what you can save (tickets start at £10, and you can buy two tickets per performance).
cigee
#7 · Posted: 4 Sep 2010 15:16
Ranko:
Now I'm no lover of opera but surely it's worth it just to go and hear 'The Jewel Song'? :-)

I'm no lover of opera either, but I sat through a radio broadcast of the New York Met production for just that reason.

Ironically, in the production I listened to, the tenor playing Faust was - I'm not making this up - called Haddock. Since I was listening to a rebroadcast on the French CBC network, I was somewhat annoyed that the host did not comment on it - nor did they comment about the most famous version from La Scala in Milan when they did the history of the opera and the different recordings.
tuhatkauno
#8 · Posted: 4 Sep 2010 18:46
cigee:
the tenor playing Faust was - I'm not making this up - called Haddock

I just had to check up that information and ...

http://www.marcushaddock.com/reviews.htm

you didn't pull our legs. :-)
cigee
#9 · Posted: 6 Sep 2010 14:55
tuhatkauno:
you didn't pull our legs. :-)

I must admit, after hearing of a Tenor called Haddock performing in Faust, I had images of Bianca going on tour with him - and getting *his* name right, to the exasperation of Archie (whose name is, of course, still mangled by Bianca)!

Please be sure to familiarize yourself with the Forum Posting Guidelines.

Disclaimer: Tintinologist.org assumes no responsibility for any content you post to the forums/web site. Staff reserve the right to remove any submitted content which they deem in breach of Tintinologist.org's Terms of Use. If you spot anything on Tintinologist.org that you think is inappropriate, please alert the moderation team. Sometimes things slip through, but we will always act swiftly to remove unauthorised material.

Forgot password
Please log in to post. No account? Create one!