Tintin Forums

Tintinologist.org Forums / Tintin news and events /

"Unicorn" Movie: Professor Calculus? [Warning: may contain spoilers!]

Page  Page 1 of 2:  1  2  Next » 

Rianna Lauren
#1 · Posted: 23 Jul 2011 09:52
It is official. Superherohype.com report that Peter Jackson has confirmed we won't be seeing Calculus in the Secret of the Unicorn movie. ;_;
De Insula Nigra
#2 · Posted: 24 Jul 2011 05:56
That is really sad. :-( Calculus plays an integral part in the book (no pun intended :-P). Haddock's frustration with him adds much of the humor to the book, and the Captain would not have been able to buy Marlinspike and find the treasure without the patent of his shark submarine. I wonder how he comes up with the money in the movie?
Morganson
#3 · Posted: 24 Jul 2011 06:21
I'm almost thinking that the film is just based on Crab and Unicorn, now. I haven't seen any elements from Rackham.
mct16
#4 · Posted: 2 Aug 2011 22:05
Morganson:
I'm almost thinking that the film is just based on Crab and Unicorn, now. I haven't seen any elements from Rackham.

That appears to be the case established from the trailers so far and I think that Spielberg and Jackson have long made up their minds to have sequel which will be about searching for the treasure itself and will surely have Calculus and his sub.
Ayesha
#5 · Posted: 2 Aug 2011 22:39
mct16:
Really? That would be nice. I hope they do make a sequel, because if they're planning on making any other Tintin movies, they have to have Calculus in them. Spielberg and Peter Jackson can't just get rid of the professor entirely!
De Insula Nigra
#6 · Posted: 3 Aug 2011 03:10
mct16:
I think that Spielberg and Jackson have long made up their minds to have sequel which will be about searching for the treasure itself and will surely have Calculus and his sub.

I think that they will find the treasure in this movie. Based on the link that Rianna Lauren posted, it seems that the making of another movie will depend on how this one does, so I don't think they plan to make a separate movie in which the treasure is found. I wonder whether Tintin and the Captain will search for the treasure in a ship, though. In the trailers it looks like they are only on the villains' ship.

It seems to me that the main reason that Calculus isn't in this movie is that it only has a few elements of Red Rackham's Treasure. As Peter Jackson said, if they make movies based on the later books, Calculus will be in them.
Richard
UK Correspondent
#7 · Posted: 3 Aug 2011 08:37
De Insula Nigra:
I think that they will find the treasure in this movie

I'm sure the discovery will be in this film. Don't forget Red Rackham's Treasure (the book) is essentially a wild goose chase; the true location of the treasure could be easily worked into the Unicorn story, if it's found & resolved in the same way as the book.
Balthazar
#8 · Posted: 3 Aug 2011 12:44
Richard:
I'm sure the discovery will be in this film. Don't forget Red Rackham's Treasure (the book) is essentially a wild goose chase

I'd been assuming that too, especially since there have been interviews with Speilberg and Jackson suggesting that they were considering books other than Red Rackham's Treasure for the second movie. However, this latest interview, linked to recently by BlackIsland in the New Movie News and General Discussion thread seems to suggest that they've been keeping back Red Rackham's Treasure till the next movie.
This interview also seems to confirm that the sinsister baddie in the trailer is a baddied-up Sakharine (bang goes my theory that he was a thinned-down Ben Salaad!), and the interesting news that that Daniel Craig is playing Sakharine, rather than Red Rackham, as widely reported previously. Here's the relevant paragraph, from the end of the interview:

So Spielberg, Jackson and the various screenwriters combined bits and pieces of the two books--among other things increasing the villainy of the film's nemesis Ivan Ivanovitch Sakharine (the character Daniel Craig plays, as opposed to the previously reported pirate Red Rackham)--together with some elements from 'Unicorn's' sequel Red Rackham's Treasure to create the film's eventual story though much of Red Rackham was set aside for Tintin 2.
"The second film would go into [Red Rackham's Treasure]," Jackson said, which he himself planned to direct. "That's the idea."

That's not to say that this means they won't have Tintin and Haddock finding the treasure at the end of this film, and Haddock regaining his ancestoral seat at Marlinspike. Clearly they're mixing up elements from different books to create a new story. But it does suggest that elements for Red Rackham's Treasure - presumably Calculus and his shark sub - will be incorporated into the next film.

This should probably be in the plot speculation thread. But with all these different Tintin movie threads it's not easy keep track of all the latest news about it or to know where to post things!
mct16
#9 · Posted: 3 Aug 2011 13:32
Balthazar:
So Spielberg, Jackson and the various screenwriters combined bits and pieces of the two books--among other things increasing the villainy of the film's nemesis Ivan Ivanovitch Sakharine (the character Daniel Craig plays, as opposed to the previously reported pirate Red Rackham)

I have found it rather odd that there is no sign of Rackham in any of the trailers I've seen so far. With the current 007 playing the part, you'd think that he'd be quite prominent, if just a split-second appearance.

I seem to recall reading somewhere that Sakharine is supposed to be Rackham's descendant. Could be that Craig is not due to voice the pirate until the next film.
BlackIsland
#10 · Posted: 3 Aug 2011 14:28
This movie will be a mess but the public who is not familiar with Tintin won't care. I am not sure why they could not make a movie with just one book.

Page  Page 1 of 2:  1  2  Next » 

Please be sure to familiarize yourself with the Forum Posting Guidelines.

Disclaimer: Tintinologist.org assumes no responsibility for any content you post to the forums/web site. Staff reserve the right to remove any submitted content which they deem in breach of Tintinologist.org's Terms of Use. If you spot anything on Tintinologist.org that you think is inappropriate, please alert the moderation team. Sometimes things slip through, but we will always act swiftly to remove unauthorised material.

Forgot password
Please log in to post. No account? Create one!