Tintin Forums

Tintinologist.org Forums / Tintin news and events /

Castafiore Emerald: Operatic adaptation to be staged!

Levent
#1 · Posted: 13 Apr 2015 14:31
Tintin is to become an opera, staged by the Opéra Pour Tous (Opera for Everyone) company, at Terhulpen Castle in Wallonia, from the 17th to the 27th of September, 2015.

Details here.
cakes200
#2 · Posted: 14 Apr 2015 14:21
Wow! What a fun idea! I wonder what Bianca's "jewel song" will sound like in this?
...And does this mean Tintin will be singing opera?! And Haddock! I can't imagine it! :-P
jock123
#3 · Posted: 14 Apr 2015 23:24
cakes200:
I wonder what Bianca's "jewel song" will sound like in this?

It's going to sound exactly like the one in Gounod's Faust! :-)

The piece is not really going to be a grand opera, it seems (from what I have read) that it is to be played as a comic operetta, with the music adapted from existing classical sources, and the libretto drawn as far as possible from Hergé's text.

So the "Jewel Song" will be the original!

And yes, as Tintin has been cast in the form of a singer, it seems likely that he will have songs; the actor for Haddock is the only one mentioned as not previously having been a singer, which might mean that he is just someone who hasn't sung before, that he will sing, but the part doesn't require a trained singer so much as a comedian, or that the part is not a singing one (operas sometimes do have featured roles for non-singing performers).
FormulaFourteen
#4 · Posted: 15 Apr 2015 08:10
Wow... That's both really cool, interesting, and a bit eyebrow raising! Of course, the irony shouldn't be missed - If I remember right Hergé felt that opera was a bit of a stuffy art-form, and accordingly lightly lampooned it in the character of Castafiore. (I suppose, then, that a comic opera is fitting!)

I have been an avid opera fan for many years now, so this should be interesting! Sadly, it seems that operas/operettas seem to either 'hit it big' and stick around for a while, or fall completely into oblivion. I think it's simply testament to the immense technical and charismatic skill and luck that's required to make an opera successful...

Let's hope that this does well!

Bailey
MT50446
#5 · Posted: 23 Apr 2015 06:33
It seems all quiet on the UK Tintin front don't suppose we will get to see this production or any other Tintin related shows in the near future
jock123
#6 · Posted: 17 Aug 2015 09:46
Les Opéras en plein air, the organization behind the production, has posted a list of the airs to which the Hergé-based lyrics will be set.

They have also posted a taster track, in which the Detectives hold forth to the strains of In the Hall of the Mountain King from Greig's Peer Gynt.

Please be sure to familiarize yourself with the Forum Posting Guidelines.

Disclaimer: Tintinologist.org assumes no responsibility for any content you post to the forums/web site. Staff reserve the right to remove any submitted content which they deem in breach of Tintinologist.org's Terms of Use. If you spot anything on Tintinologist.org that you think is inappropriate, please alert the moderation team. Sometimes things slip through, but we will always act swiftly to remove unauthorised material.

Forgot password
Please log in to post. No account? Create one!