Tintin Forums

Tintinologist.org Forums / Tintin news and events /

Asterix: R.I.P. Albert Uderzo (1927-2020)

jock123
#1 · Posted: 24 Mar 2020 11:52
Sad to have to report the death of one of the kings of the Franco-Belgian comics scene - Albert Udrzo, co-creator of Asterix the Gaul (along side René Goscinny) has died at the age of 92.

Born in France to Italian parents, Uderzo was recognized as an artistic talent, perhaps the only subject in which he excelled at school; when he was introduced to, and came to love, American comic strips, it became inevitable that he would work in the medium, and he was set on the road to stardom.

He was prolific as well as talented, working on not just the Astérix series, but the more realistic Tanguy et Laverdure (translated to English as The Aeronauts), adventures set in the world of French jet-fighter pilots, and the comedic exploits of Native American Oumpah-pah, which ran in Tintin magazine from 1958.

He carried on after the death of Goscinny, producing further tales of the indomitable Gaul, but always under the Goscinny and Uderzo banner.

Our sympathies to his family, and to those who knew him.
mct16
#2 · Posted: 25 Mar 2020 11:31
Here's a page in which various continental artists pay homage to Uderzo.

A couple refer to the corona virus, though it is reported that he simply died of old age. I don't know if this is in good taste but, "Corona Virus" would be a good name for a Roman lady character, wouldn't it?

Another page is a obituary in French and includes a page from a comic called "Arys Buck", which he drew in the 1940s. Looks like a parody of Conan the Barbarian, but what is interesting is that Arys meets a warrior who could have been the model for Asterix.
jock123
#3 · Posted: 25 Mar 2020 12:48
mct16:
"Corona Virus" would be a good name for a Roman lady character, wouldn't it?

Coronavirus is in fact a character already!

Coronavirus and Bacillus are the Roman charioteers in Asterix and the Chariot Race.

I wonder if Bacillus has a wife called Bacteria?

Interesting about Arys Buck.
number1fan
#4 · Posted: 25 Mar 2020 15:18
jock123:
I wonder if Bacillus has a wife called Bacteria?

Good one.

The end of an era.
mct16
#5 · Posted: 29 Mar 2020 13:28
In the English translation, "Bacteria" is the name of the wife of the village fishmonger Unhygienix - in "Roman Agent" and "Asterix in Spain".

In the original French her name is "Ielosubmarine". I wonder if the Beatles received any royalty payments for its use?

Please be sure to familiarize yourself with the Forum Posting Guidelines.

Disclaimer: Tintinologist.org assumes no responsibility for any content you post to the forums/web site. Staff reserve the right to remove any submitted content which they deem in breach of Tintinologist.org's Terms of Use. If you spot anything on Tintinologist.org that you think is inappropriate, please alert the moderation team. Sometimes things slip through, but we will always act swiftly to remove unauthorised material.

Forgot password
Please log in to post. No account? Create one!