Tintin Forums

Tintinologist.org Forums / Tintin news and events /

R.I.P. : Leslie Lonsdale-Cooper

tintiNZ
#1 · Posted: 13 Dec 2021 08:31
Just had the sad news from Marcus Lonsdale-Cooper ( nephew of Leslie) that Leslie has passed away on December 12th, at age 97.

I had the pleasure of meeting this wonderful, talented lady in 2017. My wife and I were in the U.K and we had a fascinating and memorable visit at her home - " The Cottage". We had a cup of tea, a good chat and a look around the garden. I had thoroughly looked forward to meeting her and asking a few questions regarding Herge and the translations she did on Tintin. But, what surprised me most was just how much I liked her from the moment she opened the door and welcomed us in.

I was taken with her modesty, strong voice and at age 93 still sharp as a tack. The spirit of Tintin radiating from her wonderful anecdotes as we chatted.

Leslie is much more than the Tintin translations, being an Academic she was the Publishing director at the Open University at Milton Keynes. Leslie could speak 4 or 5 languages, and was competent at French shorthand. Also her sterling work after WW2 with the British preparation for the Nuremberg trials.

It is testament to her love and skill with the English language that Herge had Leslie, and Michael Turner translate the entire Tintin canon.

Well done Leslie.
Harrock n roll
#2 · Posted: 13 Dec 2021 11:24
I haven't been able to verify this story yet but thank you for letting us know. I had the pleasure of meeting her a few times myself, she was an amazing lady. Great to speak to, straight to the point. RIP Leslie
jock123
#3 · Posted: 13 Dec 2021 15:25
Oh, how very sad!
She was a very talented and charming lady, and - like Chris - I enjoyed meeting her and Michael Turner at a couple of events.

Thanks for letting us know, tintiNZ, and how lovely you got to visit her at home - a rare treat, I'm sure!
Please pass my condolences to her family.
tintiNZ
#4 · Posted: 16 Jan 2022 02:59
I recently received a copy of Blistering Barnacles: An A-Z of the Rants, Rambles and Rages of Captain Haddock. A fun and entertaining addition to my library of Tintin/ Hergé.
On reading it, I was reminded of a wonderful anecdote that Leslie Lonsdale-Cooper related to me that I now pass on to members.
For years Leslie would generously give Tintin books to young boys and girls in her home village of Wicken once they were of a certain age.

Leslie told me she had recently given a couple of Tintin books to a young lad (let's call him Freddie) and after about 3 weeks revisited the family again. Young Freddie was larking about in the house with his friend when he suddenly said "b.....d".
Leslie said, "Freddie you shouldn't swear. It's not good and there is no need"
Freddie retorted, " But, Captain Haddock does "
Leslie replies, " Well... If you can show me which books he swears in I will give you my house!!". (Her 400 year old home "The Cottage" )
Walking back home Leslie said she was nervously racking her brain wondering if there really had been a swear word in the series.
After all, this was translating work she (along with Michael Turner) had done over many decades, starting back in 1956.
To finish the story, Leslie looks around the 4 walls of the room and pats the side of the chair she was sitting in.
Tacitly telling me that she still has the house and that Captain Haddock never stooped to swearing!
jock123
#5 · Posted: 13 May 2022 18:23
tintiNZ:
Tacitly telling me that she still has the house and that Captain Haddock never stooped to swearing!
Hah! Lovely story!
Sorry I must have missed it earlier, and didn't reply sooner, but that is a great anecdote, and thank you for sharing it!

I came here just now to add this link to the BBC's radio obituary series, Last Word, which commemorated Leslie and her work in a recent edition.

It's available to download, and should work anywhere in the world.
tintiNZ
#6 · Posted: 14 May 2022 23:09
It is a lovely story. Thanks Simon.
What made it even funnier was Leslie telling it, and using all the words!.

The BBC clip is excellent and gives a lot more insight to this special lady.

Louise Lonsdale-Cooper (Leslie's niece-in-law) told me the family affectionately refer to her as "Aunt Sage". And, anyone spending a little time in her company would see it was a rather appropriate term of endearment .
jock123
#7 · Posted: 5 Oct 2022 20:56
Just thought I would post a link to this nine minute video of Leslie talking to Moulinsart about working on Tintin; I don't think it's been linked to before, but even it has, it's worth adding to this memorial thread.

Please be sure to familiarize yourself with the Forum Posting Guidelines.

Disclaimer: Tintinologist.org assumes no responsibility for any content you post to the forums/web site. Staff reserve the right to remove any submitted content which they deem in breach of Tintinologist.org's Terms of Use. If you spot anything on Tintinologist.org that you think is inappropriate, please alert the moderation team. Sometimes things slip through, but we will always act swiftly to remove unauthorised material.

Forgot password
Please log in to post. No account? Create one!