Tintin Forums

Tintinologist.org Forums / Curious about Tintin? (Non-album specific) /

History of Tintin publications in Iran

Page  Page 1 of 4:  1  2  3  4  Next » 

sponsz
#1 · Posted: 7 Sep 2005 18:00
Can someone help me to get more information about TINTIN publishers in IRAN.
I made an overview in my website about Tintin in IRAN , but its incomplete. Who could help me to find more information , especially TINTINS published in the Seven-Eight and Ninethees.
My website is : http://users.pandora.be/tintin/Iranpage.htm
KurviTasch
#2 · Posted: 8 Sep 2005 08:32
There is a Swedish company that sells Farsi editions of Tintin and could probably ship to Iran. www.ferdosi.se
sponsz
#3 · Posted: 8 Sep 2005 19:00
I know this site, but they cannot help me about the History of Tintin in Iran.

Do anyone know a Mr M Boghossian of Toronto, Canada? He was the first publisher of Tintin Comics in Iran? I don't know if he's still alive? He lived in Iran in the late seventhies.

--
[Post edited by moderator (marsbar): please do not post anyone else's personal/contact details without their permission. Thanks.]
Jyrki21
#4 · Posted: 9 Sep 2005 03:11
Do someone knows a Mr.M Boghossian of Toronto? He was the first publisher of Tintin Comics in Iran ? I don't know if he's still alive ? He live Iran end of the seventies.

I live in Toronto... want me to call him up? Heh heh...
sponsz
#5 · Posted: 10 Sep 2005 12:34
Hey Great Jyrki21, as I told you I don't know if he is still alive. So be carefully please. I send him a letter about one year ago , but I never received an answer.
The official publisher, UNIVERSAL EDITIONS of A. Boghosian, published the books up to 1977, but then stopped since onoffocial (See remark above!) publishers such as VENUS or ORIGINAL had started to publish the books cheaper (and according to many, they used VERY bad translations from ENGLISH).

This could be the phone n° of Mister Boghosian [-snip-]

--
[Post edited by moderator (marsbar): please don't publish anyone else's personal/contact details without their permission!
Regarding information on Tintin books published in Iran, between the 70s and 90s, a friend of mine from Iran might be able to help - I'll try and find out.]
sponsz
#6 · Posted: 12 Sep 2005 17:04
Hi Jyrki21, did you found Mr Boghosian in Toronto?

The only genuine CASTERMAN authorized TINTIN comics were published by UNIVERSAL EDITIONS and printed by MODERN PRINTING HOUSE (MPH) in TEHERAN.
The owner of MPH was Mr. BOGHOSSIAN, an Iranian Armenian , according to certain sources of CASTERMAN.
We found 13 titles published , between 1971 and 1977.
The first 9 published comics have all an the backcover an Iran National Library Registration number and a printing date (For instance : 1349 Iranian calendar= 1970).They also do not mention the translator's name.
The 4 last published comics have no Iran National Library Registration number or date on the backcover !
Inside is printed :
All Rights for Printing, Copying, or Photographing of this Work is Exclusive for the Universal Editions, P.O. Box 1858, Tel: 89289

It is remarkable that in the old TINTIN comics from CASTERMAN Belgium (1948) , PAT MARTY from TEHERAN is mentioned as the publisher of TINTIN comics in IRAN. PAT MARTY never exist as Publisher! It was Mr. Boghossian who named his Publishing House first Pat Marty , He Change the Name later to Universal Editions and Published under this name all the Tintins.
jock123
#7 · Posted: 13 Sep 2005 12:31
Once again your research is astonishing, Colonel! Do you know if the “Pat Marty” name meant anything, or was there another reason why he used it?
sponsz
#8 · Posted: 13 Sep 2005 14:35
No Idea , perhaps someone could tell me ?

!! GENERAL REMARK ABOUT NOT AUTHORIZED BY CASTERMAN !!
There are a lot of Tintin Comics published in Iran , which are considered to be Pirate editions.
In fact Pirate is not the correct word in this case , because IRAN is Actually not affiliated to the International Convention of GENEVE on copyright . So the local publishers are not illegal (Pirate) and are legally allowed to publish anything.
colombani
#9 · Posted: 13 Sep 2005 20:53
Dear Colonel

I actually have most of the Tintin comics from Iran, in hardback, in farsi, all from the '70s.
You are right, the publisher is 'Universal', from Tehran with post box 1858; but the telephone number is different: Tehran 316806.
No translator is mentioned in the book. It says in French that Casterman's rights to translate and reproduce for all countries are reserved. Then below it says exactly what you wrote about Universal's rights in Persian.
As an example, my 'Black Island' copy has the Iran National Library Registration number 248/50/3/4

I hope that helps somewhat. I first came across Tintin as a child in Iran in the mid-seventies. My brother had many of the books.
Jyrki21
#10 · Posted: 14 Sep 2005 05:32
sponsz: Hi Jyrki21 , did you found mr.Boghosian in Toronto?

Oh, I was only kidding about calling him up... :) I'm not going to intrude on anyone's private life.

Page  Page 1 of 4:  1  2  3  4  Next » 

Please be sure to familiarize yourself with the Forum Posting Guidelines.

Disclaimer: Tintinologist.org assumes no responsibility for any content you post to the forums/web site. Staff reserve the right to remove any submitted content which they deem in breach of Tintinologist.org's Terms of Use. If you spot anything on Tintinologist.org that you think is inappropriate, please alert the moderation team. Sometimes things slip through, but we will always act swiftly to remove unauthorised material.

Forgot password
Please log in to post. No account? Create one!